Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a tutorial or a website that shows how to do the swap? im wanting to go to 28inch zilla's and will probably have to do the mods. probably need 1.5 shims and gold spring?

·
Registered
315 Posts
1.5 shims yes, gold spring probably not. You would be fine with a purple. YouTube has a bunch of videos for the yamaha clutch mods .

·
Registered
823 Posts
As mentioned, many videos on you tube

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just looked it up on YouTube. seems pretty simple. where can I get a spring compressor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also do I need to change out the rollers? seen post for 20 gram rollers. is that 20gm per roller or total?

·
Registered
315 Posts
just looked it up on YouTube. seems pretty simple. where can I get a spring compressor?
If you can get a helper, remove your secondary and use your back tire / rim to compress the spring. Set the secondary on the floor and lay your tire/rim over the spring centered in the rim hole. I put my knee on the tire then push down on the other side with my hands putting my body weight on it . I then have my wife remove the retaining nut . Reverse to install new spring. I’ve done 4 this way and it’s pretty easy and free .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can get a helper, remove your secondary and use your back tire / rim to compress the spring. Set the secondary on the floor and lay your tire/rim over the spring centered in the rim hole. I put my knee on the tire then push down on the other side with my hands putting my body weight on it . I then have my wife remove the retaining nut . Reverse to install new spring. I’ve done 4 this way and it’s pretty easy and free .
hell ya man. I like it. and its FREE

·
Registered
823 Posts
The weight in grams is for each roller ( we call them weights) So factory stock is 8 rollers at 30 grams each.

Most up grade to lighter 18 or 20 gram rollers / weights. This is an easy mod that helps wake up the 700 Kodiaks alot

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The weight in grams is for each roller ( we call them weights) So factory stock is 8 rollers at 30 grams each.

Most up grade to lighter 18 or 20 gram rollers / weights.
is it necessary to replace the weights?

·
Registered
823 Posts
is it necessary to replace the weights?
Lighter weight help wake up the 700 Kodiak alot. if you desire lazyer performance then keep your stock weights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lighter weight help wake up the 700 Kodiak alot. if you desire lazyer performance then keep your stock weights.
ok ill have to find where to get the weights. id like to wake er up. do I just double up shims if a kit doesn't include a 1.5 shim? can get a kit with .5 and 1.0. sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yes doubling up shims is fine. I buy my weights from my local Yamaha dealer as they are high quality and reasonably priced.

Reactions: Billybob

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm not a big fan of changing everything at once, I would suggest you do weights and shims first, you may be perfectly happy just with that.....

I recently installed a purple EPI spring and wasn't happy with it. I removed a few days later....

Just to add some background, I was already running a coop45 machined sheave and 18 gram weight BEFORE installing the EPI purple spring. In my case the factory spring works better with my 18 gram grizzly weights

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not a big fan of changing everything at once, I would suggest you do weights and shims first, you may be perfectly happy just with that.....

I recently installed a purple EPI spring and wasn't happy with it. I removed a few days later....

Side note.

I already had my coop45 machined sheave and 18 gram weight before I tried the stronger purple spring.
what didn't you like about the spring if dont mind me asking? would you happen to have a part number or link for the weights by chance?

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I really like your way of thinking.I can see this in my wifes future

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
162 Posts
Try this:

Yamaha #90201-225A4-00 washer plate 1mm

Yamaha #90201-222FO-00 washer plate .5mm

Yamaha # 3B4-17632-01-00
20 gram weights 07 to 14 Grizzlys

Yamaha # 2UD-E7632-00-00
18 gram weights 16 to 20 Grizzlys

courtesy of Vincent. He walked me thru my mods!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try this:

Yamaha #90201-225A4-00 washer plate 1mm

Yamaha #90201-222FO-00 washer plate .5mm

Yamaha # 3B4-17632-01-00
20 gram weights 07 to 14 Grizzlys

Yamaha # 2UD-E7632-00-00
18 gram weights 16 to 20 Grizzlys

courtesy of Vincent. He walked me thru my mods!
thank you! helps me alot

·
Super Moderator
378 Posts

Just to add some background, I was already running a coop45 machined sheave and 18 gram weight BEFORE installing the EPI purple spring. In my case the factory spring works better with my 18 gram grizzly weights
Just as a reference, this is a perfect example of everyone having a personal preference when doing mods.
I too have a machined sheave age 18gm grizzly weights, but for me, I love the purple epi spring, back shifting is spot on, and engine braking is amazing with this setup.

As Vincent mentioned, try things gradually, you may like a different setup. Some prefer the 20 gram weights, some even do 4x 30gm and 4x the lighter grizzly weights staggered, it's all personal preference.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just as a reference, this is a perfect example of everyone having a personal preference when doing mods.
I too have a machined sheave age 18gm grizzly weights, but for me, I love the purple epi spring, back shifting is spot on, and engine braking is amazing with this setup.

As Vincent mentioned, try things gradually, you may like a different setup. Some prefer the 20 gram weights, some even do 4x 30gm and 4x the lighter grizzly weights staggered, it's all personal preference.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Clutch tuning is indeed a personnel thing.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts