Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like my clutch cover is getting hotter since I did a 1mm shim and 18 gram weights. Is this normal?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I never thought about checking to see if it was hotter after doing the mods, but I would think it would be since you’re CVT is now turning more rpm’s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went on a ride with a stock grizzly and Kodiak their clutch covers were noticeably cooler.

·
Grizzled Mod
386 Posts
I went on a ride with a stock grizzly and Kodiak their clutch covers were noticeably cooler.
Noticeably cooler by how much? Going by touch is not very telling, take along a laser thermometer and get a reading from each, willing to bet it is not that big of a difference and absolutely nothing to worry about.

Many, many of us have been playing with increasing our CVT ratios and have had them this way for years and not seemingly caused issues where belts wear out because of added heat. Yamaha CVT seems to be one of the best designed CVTs out there that does not create heat from slipping. If there is a slight increase in heat because it is turning more, again and unless you did something wrong, nothing to be concerned about.

Reactions: john zane

·
Registered
54 Posts
if you get excessive heat and if it is vibrating more too you might have worn belt maybe? thats what happened when i blew my belt in older 450.
i am running orange epi, 22gr weights and .5mm shim. no problems and rides mine with 27" abuzz tires

Attachments

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My belt covers have always got hot as hell on both bikes. It's normal, ride on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! When I installed the weights and shim after a few rides the nut had backed off and stripped all the splines on the fixed sheave now after replacing the sheave I'm being extra cautious. This time I torqued it to 100fp

·
Registered
375 Posts
The cover gets hot on my all stock 450.. regardless of gear selection, "load" on motor, or cruising speed. It's just always hot.

Lighter weights need more rpm to get the atv to a certain speed than heavier weights do, so I guess it could be plausible that your motor itself is running a bit warmer assuming you havnt slowed down.

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
The really shouldn't be that much change in temperature. changing the weights is not increasing the RPMs of the engine over all, your only increasing RPM to get to a specified torque and or speed needed.it shouldn't be generating any more heat than that's designed for unless you a major issue

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have done the purple spring with 1.5 shim and grizzly weights and have not noticed a big temperature increase over stock setup. I will compare to my buddies grizzly but I believe your good. If you have doubts you might take it apart and service it and check things out. Good luck and keep us up to date.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts