Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the past posts and one other rider had a simular issue but he did not post if it was fixed. When the bike is in motion while in reverse it makes a metallic like clicking sound. I jacked it up, check the rear for sloppy hub bearings - nothing there. Went over anything that i could to find fault and nothing was found, spun wheels and nothing there either. It seems it only makes the noise under load.? I tried pinpointing exactly where the noise was when i had my son try it reverse but again hard to find. Has anyone else had this problem??
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
2,247 Posts
My guess would be a CV joint

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am still putting up with but.. was searching the net 2 days ago and looked over a few of the 700 Grizzly posts. One guy on there had no play in his bearings with the wheel off, like mine. He then removed the hub and then checked the wheel bearing and that was the cause. Going to try that and hopefully that is it and not any of the above posts. Let me know your findings and i will for mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am still putting up with but.. was searching the net 2 days ago and looked over a few of the 700 Grizzly posts. One guy on there had no play in his bearings with the wheel off, like mine. He then removed the hub and then checked the wheel bearing and that was the cause. Going to try that and hopefully that is it and not any of the above posts. Let me know your findings and i will for mine.
there is a bit more lateral play on left side that points to hub bearing getting into it today hoping not to find anything major as opening day is Thursday. ill let you know

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
They save 1/2 a cent using that nut by not having to drill the axle and supplying the pin.

But I ask myself the same question each time I take one of those nuts off. And I even have a impact and a socket for it.

One thing on the socket, if you have a Harbor Freight near you you can pick up a whole set of SAE impact sockets with a case that work.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
Get a metric set not SAE as the bike is all metric.
The larger sockets in SAE will easily work on the metric nuts.

I was in a pinch when I purchased mine from HF and went through the sockets until I found the one that fit the best, its tight enough on the nut you would think that it is a 27mm socket. I believe that the SAE socket size in 1 1/16 which comes down to 26.98mm

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Super Moderator
1,420 Posts
Yes they will work in some cases, but trust me, over time they will round the edges of the nut. That's why I suggested to just get the proper set in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
I would never substitute a SAE for a metric on anything smaller than a 19mm/3/4" even when they are close.

But for the larger nuts, and we only have the axle nut on the Kodiak's the SAE's work fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts