Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here.

I purchased a new 2019 Kodiak 700 SE EPS in May, it has a little over 200 miles on it and there is an intermittent chirping sound at low rpms coming from what I assume is the clutch housing.
In the beginning it had a slight rattling sound coming from clutch area that other members on here have talked about hearing on their machines, that sound has since gone away but now this chirping noise occurs at lower speeds, probably between 5-10 mph. It goes away over 10.
I am not sure if this is normal or if I need to think about taking it into the dealer to have it checked out. Obviously I don’t want to have to do that if it is not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I would suggest that you take it to your dealer since you do have a 6 month warranty, and what you are hearing may be totally normal it is hard to diagnose on a internet forum without being able to hear it.

Reactions: Palomino488

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Does hit happen when decelerating? Kinda sounds like the one way bearing....

Reactions: Palomino488

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does hit happen when decelerating? Kinda sounds like the one way bearing....
So far I only notice it under light acceleration, like taking off from a stop to about 10 mph under light throttle. When accelerating and applying throttle harder I don’t notice it. Deceleration seems quiet with just the normal cvt whine of the engine braking working.
I don’t abuse it, so it’s a bit puzzling cause it seems to ride great other than this for lack of a better term “loud chirping sound”
This is my first Yamaha atv and I really do love the machine.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ok. It's not a one way bearing....

You may need to take off the cvt cover to investigate. I'd be curious to see if the belt is all the way up the secondary sheave.... Maybe you have a weaker then Normal spring.... Just a guess

You can also drive around without plastic cvt cover and observe / listen where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There is a chance that that might be the heat shield that is rubbing somewhere on the frame or exhaust, you may find it by reaching in on the left side in front of the rear tire. Just worth checking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a chance that that might be the heat shield that is rubbing somewhere on the frame or exhaust, you may find it by reaching in on the left side in front of the rear tire. Just worth checking.
Thanks for the advice! I finally got around yesterday to checking out that area of the exhaust heat shield, work has been busy. The clearance between it and the frame was about the thickness of a sheet of paper. Not good. I could tell it had been rubbing the frame in that one spot as the paint had been rubbed off slightly.
I loosened the shield clamps up in that area and shifted the shield forward on the pipe slightly. That gained me more decent clearance between the shield and frame than before.
I also noticed if I pulled on the exhaust header pipe about middle way of the machine that it produces a squeak when moved back and forth behind the exhaust shield that covers the two tension springs and muffler to header pipe joint area. All shields appear to be on tight.
I rode it around for about 15 minutes afterwards and I didn’t hear the noise that time. I’m hoping that fixed it, but due to it getting late I couldn’t keep riding so I plan to test it out more soon to see if I hear the noise anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact noise you described. Only when lightly accelerating, not decelerating and not when hard on throttle. Did your fixes last?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same exact noise you described. Only when lightly accelerating, not decelerating and not when hard on throttle. Did your fixes last?
Yes, so far I have not heard the noise anymore. Fingers crossed it doesn’t come back. I’ve been checking the clearance between that exhaust shield and frame where I saw it had rubbed paint off and so far the clearance has remained the same since my adjustment. Went on a ride up in the mountains a couple weekends ago and still no sign of that noise.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I noticed yesterday mine has a little rattling noise coming from somewhere.I was checking around,couldn't find it. I went for a couple mile ride runs perfectly. Im telling myself it just brand new. Its gotta get worn in a little..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts