Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed a Champion 4500 lb winch model 14560 in my 2020 Kodiak 700. I don't know that I'll ever need that much torque, but it was $166 and came with a fairlead, plus wired and wireless remotes.

I couldn't find anyone anywhere online who installed one on a Kodiak, so I wasn't completely sure it would fit. So, for anyone else considering this 4500, it fits fine. I used a KFI 101275 mount and choose to mount the contactor to the back of the mount for now. I only use the quad in my own yard and don't expect to take it underwater anytime soon. I'll move it up into a more protected location if that ever changes. Note that there are two winch mounting options on the KFI and I mistakenly chose the forwardmost position but had to move it back to allow the undercarriage shroud to bolt up. It was a quick fix and done without requiring removal of the mount.

Control switch installed cleanly to brake lever hardware using a longer bolt of the same thread pattern that came with the winch. Wireless remote receiver is tucked up inside the upper headlight housing. I tapped into the 12V accessory wire so the winch will only run when the ignition is on.
Since I chose to mount the contactor down at the mount, I used the shorter red-black battery cables for the winch and the longer yellow-blue winch cables to the battery. I swapped the colored terminal sleeves to help identify the proper cables.

That's it. Just wanted to share my experience on the chance it might help someone else.

·
Super Moderator
98 Posts
Nice job and welcome to the forum. I am surprised to see that the 4500 lbs winch fit as I would have guessed it was too big. Generally you’ll see only 2500 and 3500 lbs winches on Kodak/Grizzly ATVs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts