Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got out this wknd and rode some trails. My machine is really new - about 8 hours on it. I had 2-3 times where it sputtered on me... mostly where I used 4x4 or diff lock. I didn’t realize that was by design until reading another thread here.

The bigger issue, my machine just up and quit. Made a bunch of noise (louder than usual) stalled, and quit. It would fire if I held the throttle 1/2 open. Some other guys stopped and we went trouble-shooting. Basically the “carburetor” hose clamp was too lose, and it slipped off. We were able to slide it back on, but not tighten it on the trail. I was just happy to get back to the truck!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hence the quotation marks. Maybe the throttle body? The rubber air supply tube? The breather? The air filter assembly? The part that puts air / gas into the engine. You know, the “carburetor” literally fell off on a brand new machine. Kinda not cool.
I haven’t gotten it apart to actually fix it yet. We just pushed it back on to get it home. Has anyone had this before, or it it really rare? I never had a problem on my dirt bikes. It kind of surprised me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe tonight I can get a pic. I have a brand new 2019 Kodiak 700 SE. I don’t even know what all is in the rubber tube yet. Basically the intake tube just slipped off the engine block. Keep in mind I haven’t pulled the plastics off yet - so limited view of what’s going on. But it seems like a hose clamp hold the intake to the block. And it was loose from the factory.
Would that be factory-installed or dealer installed?

·
Registered
408 Posts
This is likely factory, and I would recommend you don't use it until you get it looked at under warranty. Should be a simple fix.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was intending to pull the cover, make sure it’s clean, and tighten it myself. I’m kinda learning that solving these things myself is mandatory, since there isn’t any service on the trail - lol!
Think this should be looked at under warranty? Of course I’m just assuming it’s loose... if something is broke, out of round, off spec, etc... that needs dealer’s attention for sure
Planned to fix it tonight, but had a power outage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd pull the plastic and tighten it up, evidently you can't do worse than the guy that put it on to start with! :grin2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Running great! I drove it over to the car wash and cleaned it up a bit. Hit 52mph on the way home. Seems to have a LOT less popping and backfire noise. So... I think it was sucking a little air on deceleration since new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s a good question... but not really. With only 8-10 hours on the machine, and 1 hour with any measurable dust... I think it’s fine. Even with it loose, most of the air was going through the filter.
I am planning on the full 20-hr service. Debating if I want to upgrade the clutch at that time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts