Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have ITP mud lite tires 26/12/12 on the back and 26/10/12 on the front no spacers and no rubbing problems on a 2016 Kodiak 700. I am about to replace the old tires with 27"x12x12 on the back, and 27x10x12 on the front with either Maxxis Zillas or Mega Mehams can I do this without spacers and not have a rubbing problem?

Also I presently transport my quad in the back of a Ford F350 so I need to fit in between the wheel wells with the front tires don't think this is an issue though.

Any recommendations on the two for 98 percent driving in 80 acres of forest with some steep areas and thick forest floor vegetation wise, muddy on the hills in the beaten paths. I currently tend to slip and slide sideways in some of the well beaten paths in wet weather.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yep I run 28-12 wide rear and 28 -10 wide front cst wild things on stock rims with zero contact. As for the bed of your truck idk , I would guess it might be tight. The mega mayhems definitely have deeper tread than the zillas, but the zillas would be a lot lighter. Just a FYI I went with the wildthangs as they seemed to be a good compromise between the zillas and Mega’s. Heavier ply’s for better puncture resistance than the zillas and deeper tread , but lighter than the mega mayhems. I’m very happy with them, here’s a review I did.

·
Registered
108 Posts
you should be alright no spacers.

My vote is for the mega mayhems though. I put a set of 28s on my 450 about a month ago and they're absolutely killer.

The extra tread depth is definitely worth the extra weight, and the rubber compound is harder than most mud tires so they'll wear super slow. You can absolutely tell they're a heavy tire on my 450, they robbed my top end of 5mph.. and the lower end has taken a little hit due to the increased overall drive ratio.. but a 700 with pretty much 2x the HP probably wouldn't lose much, if any top speed.. and shimming the primary will reduce the overall ratio to near factory negating the extra diameter.

Go with the megas. Absolute monsters on any sort of softer surface.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I just found out th
you should be alright no spacers.

My vote is for the mega mayhems though. I put a set of 28s on my 450 about a month ago and they're absolutely killer.

The extra tread depth is definitely worth the extra weight, and the rubber compound is harder than most mud tires so they'll wear super slow. You can absolutely tell they're a heavy tire on my 450, they robbed my top end of 5mph.. and the lower end has taken a little hit due to the increased overall drive ratio.. but a 700 with pretty much 2x the HP probably wouldn't lose much, if any top speed.. and shimming the primary will reduce the overall ratio to near factory negating the extra diameter.

Go with the megas. Absolute monsters on any sort of softer surface.
They are great looking
So what are the dimensions of your 28 mega meyhams front and back. I am thinking of some new wheels as well and am confused on how to pick those. I assume you did not have to add wheel spacers or did you. I will assume any dimension on yours would work on a kodiak 700. How do you read the offset of a wheel some say for example 5/2 on the offset.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I havnt personally measured mine, but from what I read online.. the 28" mega mayhems actually measure 27.5" at 5psi. Same thing for the rest of the sizes.. 1/2" under at 5 pounds.

I did not need wheel spacers, but im not running as wide of tires that you want to run either.. mine are x9 and x10"s. That being said, I do have some spacers I've yet to install.. but they're for stability purposes.

The 450 is a smaller machine than the 700s. So yeah, anything that works on mine should work on yours. I don't think you'll have any problems with the sizes you want to run.

As for backspacing, the first number is the distance from the backside edge of the wheel to the point where the wheel touches the hub of the machine, and the second number is the distance from the front face edge of the wheel to the same point. The two numbers added together equal the width of the wheel.

Lower first number = wheel and tire stick further out from under the fenders

Higher first number = the opposite.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can confirm 28” mega mayhems fit stock suspension with no problems and I have plenty of torque on my 700 to turn them.

I installed the 2” highlighter lift for that extra bit of ground clearance also!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts