Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Kodiak EPS 700 SE and have been thinking of some power mods. Anyone install one? I did a hotcam stage 2 on one of my raptors and it made a big difference. I also had other supporting mods such as dual exhaust, power commander, and intake. I am not seeing much except a "mudbuster" cam which I am not really interested in.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Best bang for buck performance is a Coop45 machined sheave and 18 or 20 gram weights

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
EHS also have a variety of moded air box's, exhaust combinations, and tuner's that show impressive gains on his dyno. mite be worth to check that out. Hp gains without any internal engine work!!!

Reactions: OldSkoolMC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't waste your money. You won’t gain much of anything vs $. Mite even make less power

Best bang for buck performance is a Coop45 machined sheave and 18 or 20 gram weights

Bigger cams have more overlap thus bleed of more cylinder pressures. So your engine "sees" less compression ratio. You compensate for this with dome pistons that boost your compression ratios back. You set your compression ratio to compliment your cam specs.
The engine has the same exact specs as a raptor engine. I know for a fact that you're not going to lose any power with a stage 2 cam and it's not very expensive. As mentioned in my first post... I've done it, dyno'd, and tuned it and it really wakes up the engine. That being said... I know about sheave mods and weights.... which is really just changing rev speed and gearing. Doesn't add any power to the engine. Cam, instake, exhaust, and a programmer will add horsepower which is what I am looking for. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it on their Kodiak. I'm probably just going to order the same cam I had in my raptor and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
All good chum.

Just for kicks. Here's a dyno at the rear wheels on a raptor 700 that EHS built. kinda makes you think, don't it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
The engine has the same exact specs as a raptor engine. I know for a fact that you're not going to lose any power with a stage 2 cam and it's not very expensive. As mentioned in my first post... I've done it, dyno'd, and tuned it and it really wakes up the engine. That being said... I know about sheave mods and weights.... which is really just changing rev speed and gearing. Doesn't add any power to the engine. Cam, instake, exhaust, and a programmer will add horsepower which is what I am looking for. I just wanted to see if anyone has done it on their Kodiak. I'm probably just going to order the same cam I had in my raptor and call it a day.
Good luck.... 2 different engines. But you know best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Long run for short slide?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck.... 2 different engines. But you know best.

Yeah?? Luck??

Are you telling me that the Kodiak 700 engine doesn't benefit from a different cam profile? They don't benefit from intake, exhaust, porting, and programmers? You know, basic general engine 101 hop-ups that are done on just about any gas engine ever built. Because I don't believe that for one second they don't benefit from being built up which would include a basic cam swap. But you must know best.... so enlighten me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
No doubt that those modifications will increase performance and change the engine profile. Friend of mine had a complete engine build and if I had not ridden it myself I would never have believe how much change in willingness to rev and the 'character ' of the engine . Harley Davidson reved like a sport bike.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 2020 Kodiak EPS 700 SE and have been thinking of some power mods. Anyone install one? I did a hotcam stage 2 on one of my raptors and it made a big difference. I also had other supporting mods such as dual exhaust, power commander, and intake. I am not seeing much except a "mudbuster" cam which I am not really interested in.
Welcome aboard, honestly you would probably get more reply’s to this question on the grizzly forum. I know some have done big bore kits, cams etc. over there. If you do dig into the motor keep us posted on your thoughts of the mods and performance gains.

Reactions: OldSkoolMC

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Yeah?? Luck??

Are you telling me that the Kodiak 700 engine doesn't benefit from a different cam profile? They don't benefit from intake, exhaust, porting, and programmers? You know, basic general engine 101 hop-ups that are done on just about any gas engine ever built. Because I don't believe that for one second they don't benefit from being built up which would include a basic cam swap. But you must know best.... so enlighten me.
Did I say that, no, I did not. Don't go putting words in my mouth. Facts only.
You're not starting off well here, pretty lippy for a new member. That's not a good way to start out around here.
So unless I misunderstood you somehow, I said good luck, 2 different engines because the 2016 to 18 is 708 built by Subaru, quite different from the earlier Yamaha built 686 engine, and again different than the Yamaha 2019+ 686 which is different from the earlier 686.
So chances are your old cam from your raptor isn't going to fit in anything 2016 and up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All good chum.

Just for kicks. Here's a dyno at the rear wheels on a raptor 700 that EHS built. kinda makes you think, don't it?
Just looking at that chart I'd really question spinning the CVT 1500+ rpm faster than it's designed to, That alone would rob a good chunk of the extra power made.Too many unknowns with "new" 686, it's based off the old 686 but many of the parts have changed (all forged internals for one)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Just looking at that chart I'd really question spinning the CVT 1500+ rpm faster than it's designed to, That alone would rob a good chunk of the extra power made.Too many unknowns with "new" 686, it's based off the old 686 but many of the parts have changed (all forged internals for one)
That bike is a raptor. It doesn't have a cvt.......

·
Registered
65 Posts

Not sure if you ever found a cam, but I seen this video on YouTube from EHS. They are using their old 686 cam on the new 686 motor:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts