Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some may have read, the dealer just replaced the piston, rings, wrist pin and cylinder on my 2016 Kodiak 700. I told the service manager that I run 5w40 rotella t6 synthetic in it and asked should I put Dino oil in while breaking the top end in. He said the synthetic is fine and to just take it easy on the bike for while. I know there are many schools of thought on synthetic vs petroleum during the break in period. I am interested in everyone's opinion so, what say you? Thanks

Super Moderator
You should be fine with the synthetic.

I think the big thing in breaking in the top end is to just take it easy until the replaced parts have time to seal up in their grooves. With your top end I think that all that is really getting wore in are the piston rings as they get completely mated to the cylinder and wrist pin on the piston. It isn't like it is a brand new engine.

Registered
I'm no professional at this but,

I would make absolutely sure synthetic is ok. And not just go off people saying it "should be OK"....

Generally break ins are done with regular oils.
Reason is synthetic is sooo slick it at times doesn't permit the rings to set to the cylinders properly .......

Personally I wouldn't even risk it. Just run regular Yamalube for the first 300 miles....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I would make absolutely sure synthetic is ok. And not just go off people saying it "should be OK"....

Reason is synthetic is sooo slick it at times doesn't permit the rings to set to the cylinders properly .......

Personally I wouldn't even risk it. Just run regular Yamalube for the first 300 miles....

This is the way I am feeling as well but I have read a lot of contradictory stuff in the past week.

Super Moderator
You'll be fine with synthetic oil.
if this was 20 or 30 years ago... a different story today you'll be lucky to find a conventional oil that doesn't provide as much lubricity as a synthetic oil. the difference is in there long-term breakdown, conventional oil will break down sooner but as far as lubricating they're going to be very very close

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Registered

Vincent is correct. I subscribe to Amsoil鈥檚 monthly magazine to their dealers and they have done extensive testing on all of their oils and they say never use synthetic oil for break-in for the very reason Vincent gave... rings and valves wont seat properly because the synthetic oils are to slick. The only other option they offer is a break-in oil they make but this is mainly for racing applications where a motor will need to be race ready in a matter of days.
For instance, I have always used petroleum oils in my cars and trucks for 10,000 miles before switching to Amsoil synthetics.

Registered
All I will say is drive it gently, warm it up easy, and that will help no mater what oil you use. The real issue here is that as the engine parts warm and expand, they are putting lots of pressure or force on the mating surfaces. There are very limited space for expansion, and as things warm up the expand and get tight, high speed makes more heat and more expansion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts