Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may get long sorry.

Problem 1. riding for a few hours and I could not start unless it was in the P. so we got back and i looked and sure enough the Brake light was not working with the Left hand brake or the foot break. No biggie BUT the bike is 3 weeks old and has about 4.5 hours on it kind of makes it a big deal 8-9k for a toy that has 4.5 hour on it...... any way anyone know how to adjust for this? Dealer say 2-3 weeks I get it the time of year.

Problem 2. THIS ONE REALLY HAS ME WONDERING. trail riding 10-30mph, climbing hills 40-70 feet high with steep inclines. over heat come on, check engine light comes on i stop turn off bike and the fan is not running with the key in the on position. Not good. start bike fan comes on temp and check engine still on. get pulled back to barn leave off wash bike its ice cold. turn on key fan starts running. no temp or check engine lights. start bike fan stays running. with in 5 minutes temp and check engine lights back on and bike is hot. kill bike, leave key on NO fan.

any help or ideas will be appreciated, Thanks Will

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ran a test fan comes on motor is hot with in 5 minutes BUT rad and hoses are cold. not sure what kind of thermostat these bikes run but that could be an option as well. it's going tomorrow and we shale see. oil is good, had some oil in the air box cleaned it out so i wait. I will post what is the trouble when i know. Thanks Again

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
On the brake light it might just be the switch, at least that is what it was on mine and a few others on here that had the same problem.

You can see the switch under the bike in the rear left wheel area, it will have a single spring attached to it. All I did was to make sure that the plunger on the switch was operating, which it wasn't. It was just stuck. I just pulled the spring downward to get it to start working.

If you operate the handbrake or have someone do it for you while watching the switch you will see what I mean. Once the switch started working I can now start in any gear position.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The no brake light/no start thing happened to mine as well. I wiggled the switch and it worked... for a minute. The switch is not water resistant and quickly stopped working again. Traded it in before I ever bothered having it fixed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fix for not starting in gear

A Member of a Facebook page I'm on has posted a fix for the Kodiak 700 not starting in gear please see the picture. The post said the she was having the same trouble with the foot and rear hand brake not working the the brake light.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
This may get long sorry.

Problem 1. riding for a few hours and I could not start unless it was in the P. so we got back and i looked and sure enough the Brake light was not working with the Left hand brake or the foot break. No biggie BUT the bike is 3 weeks old and has about 4.5 hours on it kind of makes it a big deal 8-9k for a toy that has 4.5 hour on it...... any way anyone know how to adjust for this? Dealer say 2-3 weeks I get it the time of year.

Problem 2. THIS ONE REALLY HAS ME WONDERING. trail riding 10-30mph, climbing hills 40-70 feet high with steep inclines. over heat come on, check engine light comes on i stop turn off bike and the fan is not running with the key in the on position. Not good. start bike fan comes on temp and check engine still on. get pulled back to barn leave off wash bike its ice cold. turn on key fan starts running. no temp or check engine lights. start bike fan stays running. with in 5 minutes temp and check engine lights back on and bike is hot. kill bike, leave key on NO fan.

any help or ideas will be appreciated, Thanks Will
For your rear brake switch there is a page in the owners manual that explains what and how to adjust it. Easy.

For your overheating issue take it to the dealer and leave it there until it's either fixed or you get your money back! That is not normal or something you should try and fix yourself on a new bike. I'm assuming you have warranty on it since you said it's 3 weeks old.

We all know that these are expensive "toys" and for that exact reason you should not take no for an answer from your dealer or try and fix it yourself and risk to void your warranty. Contact Yamaha and explain the situation with dates, names and details of your dealer experience, they will help you solve your problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts