Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for help with a problem.

Ten days ago, I took my 2016 700EPS into the dealer for it's first yearly check up ( oil change with filter, greased where needed and cleaned air filter). Up to this time, it worked perfectly, after the visit to the shop, it sat several days then when I started it, there was a lot of blue smoke and the tail pipe was wet/black.

I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic looked it over, cleaned the tailpipe and told me there was a device in front of the cylinder that was connected to emissions. The problem was that the motor was cold and not burning this away, but once it got warm enough it would stop. It did. I brought it home and went for a 10 mile easy ride with no issues. Today (six days later), I started it and filled the garage with blue smoke. I took it out and let it idle and revved it a bit and it seemed to stop with the blue smoke.

I'm taking it back to the dealer first of the week, as the shop part is closed today.

Can anyone suggest the questions I should ask?
Suggest what to look for.
I'm not much of a mechanic so depend of buying the service, so any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Some of the early 16's have defective valve guide issues. Yamaha knows this but the dealerships either aren't aware or they are full of crap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went for a 162 km (100mi) trail ride today. When I first started the machine, a bit of blue smoke, then none for the rest of the day. It seems like a bit of oil seeps into the cylinder when the motor is off - like the old radial aircraft engines. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks KodiakMatt,

I notice we're neighbours. I'm in Tobique Narrows. Eleven of us went out to Juniper Sunday. Nice ride- we even had a bit of rain to dampen the dust.

I assumed the mechanic would have checked the seals when I took it back. It can't be a coincidence that it started smoking after taking it in for service.
I took it back to NorthWest Yamaha yesterday and they are going to take another look.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check the oil level. Might be overfull

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update:

I got a call from the dealer this morning.

They got permission from the Yamaha rep to take the top off the cylinder? They found that the rings had lined up?
They are going to replace the cylinder, piston, rings, etc...

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's what Honda claims happens with their V6 engines. I think they are assembled incorrectly. Anyway, it's their techs that pay the price for Honda's mistake - they get paid 6.5 hours to replace the piston rings in a V6 Accord. That's one of the major reasons I left the Honda dealership and went to work at an aftermarket shop

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer didn't mention it, but, with the new rings, piston and cylinder, I should treat this as a break in period, as per instructions when I first bought it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts