Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking at upgrading my 2020 Kodiak 700 and 2017 Kodiak 700 with some new tires, I am tossed between the Maxxis Bighorn Radials and the Maxxis Zillas. I am also looking at going a size bigger that factory. What do you guys think? Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
687 Posts
27" zilla and call it good. You won't regret them. No experience with bighorn radials but be mindful of the weight of the tires you are considering. Heavier tires will affect performance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What kinda terrain do you ride on? The tread patterns on both of those tires are vastly different and will perform as such.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kinda terrain do you ride on? The tread patterns on both of those tires are vastly different and will perform as such.
I do a lot of trail riding, I don't know if you are familiar with Tug Hill NY or AOAA out in PA, but since there is no real riding spots in NJ those are where I normally ride.

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
What kinda terrain do you ride on?
Exactly this! Hard to make recommendations on tires without terrain and riding type understanding. There is no 1 tire fits all when it comes to ATVs. I personally couldn't care less about mud/skeg bogging so why would I want a mud style tread?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do a lot of trail riding, I don't know if you are familiar with Tug Hill NY or AOAA out in PA, but since there is no real riding spots in NJ those are where I normally ride.
The zilla will perform better on looser surfaces and in mud, the bighorn is really more of a "desert" tire. Although.. if you don't come across, or don't care about going through a bunch of mud the bighorn will work just fine.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey there neighbor, southern tier of ny here, we’ve rode aoaa several times, such a great park. Ok I run cst wildthangs and my wife runs classic bear claws k299’s and both have worked well at aoaa . I love the mud and she enjoys it, she won’t go in the thick peanut butter mud but I just can’t go around it . If you think you’ll be hitting some mud go with the zillas but I know I’ve seen some running the bighorns drive around the mud holes and they work great there on the trails .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know they are not one of your choices but I am going to throw in the Kenda Bear Claw HTR also. They have been great on the trail and I'm not scared to go through top of tire deep mud at all. Where you point them is where they go.

Attachments

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
Vastly different tires. Both will do ok on trails, although the big horn will be a better trail tire. If you are into mud, not even close, the zilla/wildtang (same company) will excel in the mud, BH will get you though some mud but not really designed for that.
BH radial vs a bias tire..... The radial will provide a more stable ride, much better puncture resistance, a much longer life span.
Radials are more expensive, but you will be buying 2 sets minimum possibly 3 sets of zillas before the Bighorns see the end of thier life.

Personally, almost any radial all purpose tire will win out here unless you spend the majority of your riding time in deep or thick mud.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
62 Posts
I too have a 2017 & 2020 Kodiak and run Zilla's on the 17 and still have the Factory tires on the 20 model. The Zilla's to me are one of the best mud tire without going too aggressive, it runs good and quiet on hard pack. I have no experience with the Bighorns.

Steve.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts