Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
The video...can't be uploaded? But, I see the cable actuating what looks like a spring into the left side of the carb. Could it just be gummed up?

Super Moderator
Is the choke opening when you release it or is it staying closed or partially closed?

On my old 2000 Kodiak the cable would stick until I pulled it apart and lubed it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
Is the choke opening when you release it or is it staying closed or partially closed?

On my old 2000 Kodiak the cable would stick until I pulled it apart and lubed it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
It sounds to me like it might be stuck...I just tried again and now when I try to shift into gear it seems to be getting enough fuel that it drives to jump ahead (without throttle) into reverse when I shift down to go into drive.

I take it cleaning this cable is easier than taking apart, cleaning and reassembling a clutch? 馃槄

Super Moderator
The difficulty is all in the eye of the one doing the work.

At least with the clutch you can see the problem. When my choke cable was sticking I had no idea if it was fixed until I tried it after putting it back together.

You can also just try wiggling the cable once it is exposed and see if that disengages it. That is what I did. I just activated the choke and then tried to disengage it and when it didn't open up I started to wiggle the cable sheath and heard it pop open so I knew I was on the correct path.

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
Ok, sounds like a plan - for starters, I'm guessing this spring shouldn't be exposed at all times?

Since I can't upload my video, here's pictures of the open and closed positions, it doesn't return flush to the carb body either time and I can put my finger on a loose o-ring or something here.

Grizzled Mod
Since I can't upload my video
You will not be able to upload a video to this forum. You will need to upload your video to a video hosting site, somewhere like youtube or vimeo. Once the video is uploaded to a video hosting site, you'll get the share link for your video and then use that in a response via the "insert link" option in your post.

Registered
I went through the repair manual for 3 different Kodiaks. My old 2000 400, my 2026 700 and the manual for the 2019 450 and none of them show to load up the housing as you can see in Vincent's photos or the above video. It does say to lubricate the weights but my manuals don't say how much to use.
Actually if you read the 2019-2020 Yamaha Manuel it tells you how much grease should be used.

It states 90 grams on the weights, and 5 grams for the inner collar and sliding portion of the sheave, for a total of 95 grams of grease

Considering a standard tube of grease is 400 grams, Yamaha essentially recommends 1/4 tube of grease every time the primary sheave is serviced. That's ALOT of grease and more then what I use.

Registered
Will this work for tightening at 100ft lbs too?
Sam
Well, I only had time today to tear everything apart before I had to run back to work but I'm feeling pretty confident that this insane mouse nest in the CVT case and packed into the clutch is the reason for my poor performance.

Also, shout out to the person who suggested using a ratchet strap to hold the sheave in place in order to loosen that 22MM bolt...for posterity, here's what it looked like when I did it:

View attachment 10229

View attachment 10230

And a look at the deplorable state of the clutch and the pile of greased up mouse guts I pulled out of each roller sleeve:

View attachment 10231

View attachment 10232

Registered

Attachments

61 - 69 of 69 Posts