Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
wow dude!!
you are not supposed to grease the clutch weights or anything else but the collar that goes on to the shaft.
that is what the little hole is for..just a dab of grease.
it is a dry clutch and those weights are supposed to roll back and forth to accuate your clutch.
all that grease will attract dirt and gum up your clutch and i would be surprised if it worked at all.
Don't post info like this if you don't fully understand it.
Yamaha doesn't use a dry clutch. I have no idea where you ever got that info. The roller weights are definitely greased, they come that way from factory. There are a few of us on here that go grease less, but that is a choice we made. OEM spec is to grease them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Where the heck did you learn that Yamaha use a dry clutch system?

And if this is the case why were both my 2009 and 2019 grizzly's primary sheaves loaded with greased from Yamaha?

And finally why does Yamaha sell Ultramatic grease in a one pound bucket?
where did you learn to fill your clutch with grease??
because they sell it in a pound bucket???
sorry pal you are wrong...do some homework
grease on the sheaves!!! omg
they are supposed to be clean and dry...how is it going to grab the belt when its all greased up??
good thing we are on this topic so i can save someone from doing it the wrong way....lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't post info like this if you don't fully understand it.
Yamaha doesn't use a dry clutch. I have no idea where you ever got that info. The roller weights are definitely greased, they come that way from factory. There are a few of us on here that go grease less, but that is a choice we made. OEM spec is to grease them.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

i would love to see that information..please post and share!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
they are supposed to be clean and dry...how is it going to grab the belt when its all greased up??
good thing we are on this topic so i can save someone from doing it the wrong way....lol
wow you guys are right!!
i have cleaned a few clutches and they were always dry but dirty.
my bad...i am wrong!!

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
The grease does not go on the sheave faces, only in the roller weight area.

·
Registered
863 Posts
wow you guys are right!!
i have cleaned a few clutches and they were always dry but dirty.
my bad...i am wrong!!
Interesting response ...... Kinda bipolar

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Soo....now I'm confused. Everything I'd seen up to this point included greasing the clutch components, is that still accurate? I'm about to run out and grab brake cleaner and grease from the auto parts store to work on this tonight. Would love to hear a consensus after this back and forth....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Soo....now I'm confused. Everything I'd seen up to this point included greasing the clutch components, is that still accurate? I'm about to run out and grab brake cleaner and grease from the auto parts store to work on this tonight. Would love to hear a consensus after this back and forth....

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting response ...... Kinda bipolar

ever clean a clutch on a king quad?
brute force750?
can-am 570?
all dry clutches except for clutch shaft grease.
my mistake was assuming Yamaha was like all the others but make no mistake i do know a thing or two.
i would rather be bipolar than a know it all👏:unsure::geek:

·
Grizzled Mod
208 Posts
yeah looks like yamaha has a sealed type clutch but i am curious why the dirt and dust doesnt stick to the grease and gum it up???
interesting
Sealed is a bit extreme an understanding for Yamahas CVT system. There is a decent sized snorkel that allows in unfiltered air. Within the CVT itself, there is a grease cover but it also does not keep out all of the dust. There is a maintenance schedule for cleaning the sheaves and secondary and then regreasing everything. I forget what the schedule is but you will ultimately experience the grease gumming up if it doesn't get maintenanced. From what I've read/seen, it takes multiple years, or a lot of miles/KMs of no maintenance for the grease to gum up.

It is part of the recommended general maintenance by Yamaha to clean and regrease the CVT system. Having said that, there are those who do choose to go greaseless on the roller and slider weights in the Yamaha CVT, you still grease the shafts on the primary and secondary. I do know someone who has gone greaseless for years on Yamaha 700 ATVs and he reports no issues other than the CVT being slightly louder greaseless than with grease. I am actually considering going greaseless but have so far chickened out ;).

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
863 Posts
brute force750?
can-am 570?
my mistake was assuming Yamaha was like all the others but make no mistake i do know a thing or two.
I'm glad you learned something new today. Welcome to the forum...

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
I went through the repair manual for 3 different Kodiaks. My old 2000 400, my 2026 700 and the manual for the 2019 450 and none of them show to load up the housing as you can see in Vincent's photos or the above video. It does say to lubricate the weights but my manuals don't say how much to use.

I do however try and make it look a lot like it is when I pull things apart, as long as the part wasn't broken.

Here is the page out of the manual, it is quite similar in all three manuals.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes grease goes in the roller channels 100%. About a table spoon in each channel will suffice..

·
Registered
333 Posts
brute force750?
can-am 570?
You know what they say about assuming...

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
863 Posts
I went through the repair manual for 3 different Kodiaks. My old 2000 400, my 2026 700 and the manual for the 2019 450 and none of them show to load up the housing as you can see in Vincent's photos or the above video. It does say to lubricate the weights but my manuals don't say how much to use.

I do however try and make it look a lot like it is when I pull things apart, as long as the part wasn't broken.

I agree I put a fare bit. But it's about 1/2 the amount of grease that Yamaha put in from the factory...... I ve observed this on both my 09 and 19 grizzly primaries first time being serviced

This is my Coop45 machined sheave after 1 year and 2300 miles from its last service

It actually has a total of 10 000 miles on it and looks almost new !

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

THanks, that's great - I'll take a look at the manual tonight. I got all my parts for taking this thing apart, including a $7 (single) 20mm socket !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
One thing I'm noticing about my 400 is that it seems the center "hub" (?) is set back further from the primary sheaf (see this photo from before)...is this an issue or is the mechanism designed to move back and forth on the pole? This is also the area that was most packed with dead mice and greasy fur, I'm wondering if it couldn't slide / actuate because of that?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts