Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my trusty '06 Kodiak 400 had been sitting in storage for a while (in a barn) since we moved over this summer - when I drove it after it was bogging down under load or going up hills at any speed, which it was told to me was likely a "burnt out" belt.

I went to replace the belt today while also doing an oil change and as soon as I popped open the clutch case a horrible smell came out and a giant pile of dead mice fell out. Gross. Take a look at this picture, all of this material fell out of the case and the dark gray (fur? hair?) material was jammed all inside the clutch.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the belt (and add the shim mod) even though it actually looks fine (to my untrained eye) but do I need to do something to the clutch to address this issue, aside from scraping every bit of mouse guts and fur out of this thing that I can? Does it need to be "re-greased" somehow?

On another note, how would so many mice get into a sealed case like this? Is there an air intake into it that I should also be cleaning out / checking?

Photos:

·
Registered
872 Posts
You will need to remove the primary sheave, take the grease cover off and clean the cam plate, channels and weights. Then relubricate everything with fresh grease. Clean you sheave surfaces as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
As for a opening for your little buddies to get into it, take a close look at the front of the housing and see if you can see where the cooling duct is at on it. There should be a tube going up towards the top of the machine.

Way back when I and a friend purchased a couple of 400 Kodiak's back in 2000 his housing was full of water. We took a ride and within a few miles he was having all kinds of problems, I started to pull the outer cover off and the water started to just poor out. I sent him home and told him to pull it completely off and let it dry out. I never did investigate just where the water could of came from but a cooling duct would make sense.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I know on our 04 450 the cvt intake is under the front black panel under the rack, exhaust outlet should be by rear brake light. When I bought my 00 400 the mice had built a nice nest In it. Funny thing when I test drove it the cvt made no noise or slipped ,I get home and unload it and I hear what I come to find out was corn kernels in it. Those little buggers had it 1/4 full of corn. So yep complete disassemble and new grease ,belt etc. FYI I bought like 6 cans of brake clean to get it all cleaned up I hosed down my cvt cover too, smelled pretty bad .

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
Getting the smell out will be the hardest thing to do

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will need to remove the primary sheave, take the grease cover off and clean the cam plate, channels and weights. Then relubricate everything with fresh grease. Clean you sheave surfaces as well.
Thanks...I'm pretty new with ATV maintenance, is there a good place to find a guide for disassembly...as I type that I suppose I can search here. Also, what kind of grease do you recommend?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know on our 04 450 the cvt intake is under the front black panel under the rack, exhaust outlet should be by rear brake light. When I bought my 00 400 the mice had built a nice nest In it. Funny thing when I test drove it the cvt made no noise or slipped ,I get home and unload it and I hear what I come to find out was corn kernels in it. Those little buggers had it 1/4 full of corn. So yep complete disassemble and new grease ,belt etc. FYI I bought like 6 cans of brake clean to get it all cleaned up I hosed down my cvt cover too, smelled pretty bad .
Yeah, this is unbelievable what they packed into this thing...I thought I was doing the right thing by storing in our old barn but It may have been better off parked in the lawn in front of our new house.

When you say CVT cover, you mean the same clutch / belt case that I just showed a picture of?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for a opening for your little buddies to get into it, take a close look at the front of the housing and see if you can see where the cooling duct is at on it. There should be a tube going up towards the top of the machine.

Way back when I and a friend purchased a couple of 400 Kodiak's back in 2000 his housing was full of water. We took a ride and within a few miles he was having all kinds of problems, I started to pull the outer cover off and the water started to just poor out. I sent him home and told him to pull it completely off and let it dry out. I never did investigate just where the water could of came from but a cooling duct would make sense.
Thanks, I think I see that tube / duct when I look at the side of this thing...I guess I'm doing a full disassemble tomorrow so I'll have a look and let you know!

·
Super Moderator
1,512 Posts
Mice and other rodents are a scourge to folks who store things in barns and other places where they are plentiful. They not only build nest but they will also chew the electrical wiring to where there are big problems.

One way to deter them is to spread moth balls around or get a pair of nylons and put the moth balls into them and then place that around the machine.

For details on how to disassemble things a service manual helps a lot. I just picked up another one on Ebay for less than $20 and I got the download within minutes of paying for it. But you do need a place to store the download such as a laptop.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all, my trusty '06 Kodiak 400 had been sitting in storage for a while (in a barn) since we moved over this summer - when I drove it after it was bogging down under load or going up hills at any speed, which it was told to me was likely a "burnt out" belt.

I went to replace the belt today while also doing an oil change and as soon as I popped open the clutch case a horrible smell came out and a giant pile of dead mice fell out. Gross. Take a look at this picture, all of this material fell out of the case and the dark gray (fur? hair?) material was jammed all inside the clutch.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the belt (and add the shim mod) even though it actually looks fine (to my untrained eye) but do I need to do something to the clutch to address this issue, aside from scraping every bit of mouse guts and fur out of this thing that I can? Does it need to be "re-greased" somehow?

On another note, how would so many mice get into a sealed case like this? Is there an air intake into it that I should also be cleaning out / checking?

clean er up and put a new belt on....should be good to go!!

Photos:

View attachment 10207

View attachment 10208

View attachment 10209

·
Registered
872 Posts
@ADK_XJ

Here a few pictures of me cleaning and regreasing my old grizzly 550s Cvt....

I use a choked rachet strap to hold my primary when loosening or tightening the 22mm nut. It works well but can be awfully tricky the first times. Impact gun isn't suggested as apparently the hammering effects is hard on the one-way bearing. I usually stick with yamalube grease in the primary (weights, guides, cam plate channels, and bearing grease on the movable sheaves inner bushings witch slide back and fourth on the collar.

Attachments

Reactions: RF70

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, this is unbelievable what they packed into this thing...I thought I was doing the right thing by storing in our old barn but It may have been better off parked in the lawn in front of our new house.

When you say CVT cover, you mean the same clutch / belt case that I just showed a picture of?
The cover is the large black cover / piece you removed to gain access to you’re clutch sheaves. Do a google search on Yamaha cvt maintenance and you’ll find days worth of reading and videos to walk you through it. It’s really not hard to do, as for grease I ordered a tub of the yamalube .

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Mice,can't stand the little buggers, I put window screen around the the intakes.I just wire tied them on. I did the front two. Engine Intake and the belt Intake.Is there another one? Belt exhaust??

·
Registered
342 Posts
Mice,can't stand the little buggers, I put window screen around the the intakes.I just wire tied them on. I did the front two. Engine Intake and the belt Intake.Is there another one? Belt exhaust??
Yep there’s cvt exhaust , if your’s is a 700 it’s under the right side cover. Look at the lower left corner of this picture.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ADK_XJ

I use a choked rachet strap to hold my primary when loosening or tightening the 22mm nut. It works well but can be awfully tricky the first times. Impact gun isn't suggested as apparently the hammering effects is hard on the one-way bearing. I usually stick with yamalube grease in the primary (weights, guides, cam plate channels, and bearing grease on the movable sheaves inner bushings witch slide back and fourth on the collar.
Super helpful, thanks for your reply and the pictures!

·
Registered
27 Posts
@ADK_XJ

wow dude!!
you are not supposed to grease the clutch weights or anything else but the collar that goes on to the shaft.
that is what the little hole is for..just a dab of grease.
it is a dry clutch and those weights are supposed to roll back and forth to accuate your clutch.
all that grease will attract dirt and gum up your clutch and i would be surprised if it worked at all.

·
Registered
872 Posts
wow dude!!
you are not supposed to grease the clutch weights or anything else but the collar that goes on to the shaft.
that is what the little hole is for..just a dab of grease.
it is a dry clutch and those weights are supposed to roll back and forth to accuate your clutch.
all that grease will attract dirt and gum up your clutch and i would be surprised if it worked at all.
Where the heck did you learn that Yamaha use a dry clutch system?

And if this is the case why were both my 2009 and 2019 grizzly's primary sheaves loaded with greased from Yamaha?

And finally why does Yamaha sell Ultramatic grease in a one pound bucket?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts