Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11\19\16 marks the first day of rifle season for black bear in PA. Gluck to ya.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not much into bear hunting even though there are lots here. But big into moose hunting normally get to go every year. Got two this year a four point bull and a 14 point bull. Had the kodiak to bring them out of the woods but never needed it for either of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WoW! Nice. Your up in the land of big animals unlike our run of the mill 150lb whitetails. I have lots of bear pictures but have never seen one in 30 years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm hoping to draw another bear tag this year they are very neat animals. I've never had pictures of a collard bear before but I definitely enjoy putting cameras out and getting pictures of whats out there showing up at the baits at night while your gone. They are such wary and sneaky creatures its pretty cool how they don't make a sound when they are sneaking thru the woods. I wish we could hunt the moose in Minnesota but with the declining moose population we aren't allowed to hunt them any more but we have a good whitetail population so that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Come to canada boys and we can go moose hunting!! The biggest one we got last year dressed about 1100 pounds!
I had a guy come from michigan that i meet on a mustang form back in 2006. Put an 18 point in front of him the first day of the season.
Thats Big, what rifle cal. do you use on something that big ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Come to canada boys and we can go moose hunting!! The biggest one we got last year dressed about 1100 pounds!
I had a guy come from michigan that i meet on a mustang form back in 2006. Put an 18 point in front of him the first day of the season.
I'd be down to go I'm not sure on how the whole out of country hunting license works but I'm guessing it falls under the non resident category. Looks like it would take 26hrs of straight driving for me to get there if I cut through Canada. 1100lbs dressed is a pretty stout animal to get out of the woods definitely not dragging that guy out of the woods by hand might also be a little big for the back rack of the Kodiak.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We use a 30-06 or a 270 normally. The kodiak will pull them but its tough. We used a 480 timberjack grapple skidder this year that just happen to be close by. It cost a fair amount you have to apply online at service New Brunswick and then if you get drawn its around 600 bucks for non resident tag. Its almost 100 for us that live here. I guess the government wants all the $$$ they can get from someone out of province. If you did a moose hunt through an outfitter here its like 3 grand for the week

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah its definitely not cheap but it is usually money well spent. I usually spend a little over $250 in licenses in Minnesota every year and feel I get a very good value in my returns and the memories and good time last for ever.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Always wanted to hunt whitetail in Canada at the very least. Saskatchewan maybe

·
Registered
142 Posts
Normally use a 270 or 30-06 Got another moose this fall. Hunt number 37 since 1992 and so far have been successful on everyone of them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not a hunter, but I live in prime white tail and turkey (Fall season ends today) area here in Maine. It's pretty normal to see a white tail deer or two or three or a flock of turkeys chowing down on the apples in my back yard which have dropped off the trees.

Bear hunting is pretty much done up here as hunting with bait and dogs ends in September and October respectively. Folks can still legally hunt bears until November 25th, but I have heard of very few folks who have ever taken a bear in this manner.

Moose season is big up here. Last year 1,609 moose were taken with a 75% success rate (certain areas are certainly better than others). Lottery chances for out of state hunters start at $15 . . . if selected there is a whopping $585 permit fee. Average weight last year was 741 lbs, with the heaviest dressed bull coming in at 1,061 pounds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Man would a moose be awesome to fill the freezer with! Usually I stick to a few deer, ducks, grouse and when I get lucky enough to draw a bear tag here in Minnesota.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Were in the middle of Whitetail season here in PA. Anybody out there any where killin anything?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts