Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been back and forth between zilla's, bear claw htrs, and a couple others. My question is if I go with radials, for example the htr's, is it plausible to put 26x9x12 on all four rims? I know some guys do this, and it will keep the weight down, but will it cause any issues?

·
Registered
55 Posts
is it plausible to put 26x9x12 on all four rims?

I would say yes, they certainly are not too big. As fare as having all four tires the same width? I have seen people do it without issues, may feel a little different?

On my previous ATV, I ran 9" front and 10" back, no issue, not equal in width, but pretty close.

I personally will be going 9" wide in front and 11" in the back. 12" if I go with Original Bighorn.

The dealer I bought my Kodiak from had one set up with 26X9X12 front and 26X12X12 in the back and claimed it would not void warranty. Warranty would not be void as long I not go more than 1 size bigger in diameter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Still up in the air with the new tires, research continues. 6 ply radials may be the way to go. Strength with moderate weight is my goal. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I hear you, I've also been looking at upgrading my tires. I'm no expert by any means, but I will be going with 6 ply. I'm also considering Radials. Based on my understanding, the radial's thread should last longer may be smoother driving while the bias ply should be more flexible. 9' front and 11" back would be my preference, 12'" seems a little wide but....?

Weight which can be found on most manufacturer's web site is also a consideration.

So many choices, decision, decisions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now my choice is either the htr claws or sti black diamonds. But the more I think I may go all out blackwater evo's lol. Keeping sizes down minimizes weight soooo.....still thinkin lol

Also, any recommended tire sites to order from? No one is carrying a huge selection round here.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Atvtires.com is another Canadian source. I would check dealers as well. A lot of them sell well below msrp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup black diamond's. 26' s run small and keep rotational mass down, or so I read. Plus I like the tread pattern. Those or terracrosses now lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
friend of mine put htr claws 26" on his griz. mounted on new 14" rims. they work well in all conditions but he complains of the shake in higher speeds. he even had them balanced and didn't help much. hes the only person I know running them so don't know if they all have balance issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts