Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We All here the warnings to never cross flooded streams.
But when is it too deep and what if our trucks are on the other side and we crossed hours ago before the flood waters rose.
First picture show a crossing from last week the second shows results when I tried to cross.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well that sucks. Did you get it out ok and back home to dry it out?

·
Registered
701 Posts
That freaken sucks

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
It is always sad when you capsize your ride and it is laying there.

Years ago I found that these things will float. I backed a 89 Yamaha Big Bear into a pond and while I was on it the tires stayed on the bottom but you could feel the buoyancy of it. Then I got off and found that I could move it around with just a light touch.

Perhaps that is where they recommend that you don't go into moving water that comes up above the hubs. It is just way too risky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My Insurance is going to total the quad. the BLM pulled it out after we had left it abandoned, but left it in a farmers field on the back side of a barbed wire fence.
After this I rode doubled up on another quad and my daughter tripled up in a buggy that was with us as we still had 30 mile more back to the trucks...
the important things were: We were all still safe and alive, and I learned that if I cannot walk through the water I will not ride through the water...
Everyone stay SAFE and ride with an eye to safety so we can ride another day....
But, we have discovered we can ride from southwest Utah to Calinte NV all on dirt roads and it was Beautiful....

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Remember that the new rules in Utah is that every one needs a ATV registration.

They used to allow you to ride up to 30 or so days on your state of residence tag or no tag depending but they changed it in the last year. Same with Arizona if you venture that way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was happy when Nevada started our OHV decal because it was a PITA to get tempo tags at other states... the reciprocation was welcome.
Now back to PITA. Any idea what the penalty is ? One friend of mine used to just say **** take the fine it was less that the permit.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
No idea of the fines but it might be possible for them to impounded your ATV, but what happens if you get caught a second time?

Utah's, non resident tag is $35 and I believe Arizona's is the same, I have both.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
My Insurance is going to total the quad.
What all damage was done to it? If it's just a matter of cleanup, fluid & oil changes I'd see what they wanted as a salvage!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ins adjusted quoted me $1826 buy back... too high. But at $900 maybe but I don't have room at this time, for the tear down.
it hit the water with the throttle pined and I heard the exhaust blowing bubbles while the motor still ran. I was under water with quad for a short time.. but if it didn't do damage to the rod/piston I would really be surprised... but with that said I would have been fun for a complete tear down and hop it up during the rebuild... as is the salvage co will pick it up Saturday...
I have removed Iron Baltic skid plate set, Elka shocks, Trail Tamer Muffler, rack extensions, and wheel spacers none of which were covered in the insurance… lots of work ready for the next one... I will net enough to cover a good down payment for the replacement, and , maybe I can get a good deal during these difficult times ( if motorcycle stores are still allowed to do business )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts