Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've started to buy some misc. things, such as LED lights, bigger soundbars, etc.. Before I install them, I was wondering what my best option for battery replacements are that could offer more juice, and other than possibly needing to change fuses, what else would be needed? I'm trying to have the things I want but also making sure not to strain the battery beyond its limits.

For reference, I have a 2020 Kodiak 700 EPS. This is the first 4-wheeler I have personally owned, I usually stuck with trucks and Jeeps, but now I want to go places not many can, so I joined the 4-wheeling ranks.

P.S. - Any help is appreciated!

Super Moderator
Your big problem is not the battery but the charging system and I know of no way to upgrade it.

You can always install a second battery but you would need to fabricate a mount for it to run your accessories and then install a battery idolator so that you don't draw down the main battery while allowing the second battery to charge along with the main one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Your big problem is not the battery but the charging system and I know of no way to upgrade it.

You can always install a second battery but you would need to fabricate a mount for it to run your accessories and then install a battery idolator so that you don't draw down the main battery while allowing the second battery to charge along with the main one.
I see. I don't think I'll need more charge. I mean it's only a 20" LED light bar, like 4-5 small underglow LEDs and the biggest thing is the soundbar that contains two 6 1/2 inch speakers with a 450 internal amp. I don't think I'll need more charge, but I'm looking for options just in case I do need to go that route.

Super Moderator
The led bar should be fine but the sound bar and amp to drive it along with the radio or where ever you are getting your tunes besides your phone would be the question.

I know that just using a winch will draw down the battery voltage, even the cooling fans when they kick on will draw it down anywhere from 0.5-1 volt.

I would start with finding out what the amperage or wattage that the amp draws and then go from there. I haven't seen anywhere in any manual just what the output is of the stock charging system is

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The led bar should be fine but the sound bar and amp to drive it along with the radio or where ever you are getting your tunes besides your phone would be the question.

I know that just using a winch will draw down the battery voltage, even the cooling fans when they kick on will draw it down anywhere from 0.5-1 volt.

I would start with finding out what the amperage or wattage that the amp draws and then go from there. I haven't seen anywhere in any manual just what the output is of the stock charging system is
I want to say the LED lightbar is 126W and from what I see, with the way the sound bar is setup, it draws less than 15 amps. But I can't find a precise number on it.

Super Moderator
I鈥檇 be very surprised if your light bar is pulling that much power as they usually don鈥檛 come close to what they say they are rated at. If I were you, I would also install a voltage meter so you can monitor what your voltage is running at. It could be as simple as purchasing a round 12V accessories plug that is a voltage meter or combo volt meter/USB.

I personally would try hooking up everything first and see if you鈥檙e overdriving what your charging system can keep up with. I have run quite a bit of extra accessories on my last Grizzly 700 with no problems (I didn鈥檛 have a sound bar though). Chances are you won鈥檛 be running everything all the time anyway.

Registered
A 20 " bar is massive overkill on an atv imo. I've got a 7" bar drawing only 3 amps and it lights the trail up quite well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts