Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy first quad and local dealer has a few ‘18’s left for $5299. Any negatives to buying the base model versus the sexy eps or LE?
This is just for minor snow plowing and trails with family.

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
Just remember that a base model is a stripped down machine. No A arm guards, the hitch is just a piece of metal that you can place a ball into, no gauges, and no diff lock. The machine is placed into 4x4 mode with a lever, and in tight spots no power steering.

However for a couple hundred dollars worth of accessories and you can have just about all I mentioned above except for the locking diff. As you go along all the parts from a higher end machine will just bolt onto the base model. The only real expensive ones would be the gauges and diff lock but aftermarket ones will take care of that. I put a 501 Parts diff lick with electric switch into mine last summer and have a gauge pod that will tell me everything I want to know except for the fuel level.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looking to buy first quad and local dealer has a few ‘18’s left for $5299. Any negatives to buying the base model versus the sexy eps or LE?
I bought 2 base models in 2016. Put a plow and winch on 1 and this is the 3rd snow season with it.

The only thing I added to each machine is an hours meter ($70 each for the Yamaha brand) so I could track maintenance accurately, and one my plow machine I added the heavier hitch receiver for $70.

I am 55 and the wife is 54. We don't need power steering and a speedometer isn't even a thought.

Many people make a fuss about the upgrade options, but they are mainly fluff and puff to us. The machines are all the same unless you are into heavy deep mudding and need a front differential locker. I have never been stuck on a trail and don't expect that it will happen. I drive around SUPER HUGE puddles, but have been through a lot of heavy mud and water without even using 4x4. I mainly use 4x4 when I plow.

I am super pleased with the Kodiak Base as is the Mrs. and everyone else that rides our quads. I like knowing that I saved several thousand dollars without sacrificing power or performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 19 700 EPS and I love it. I would spend a little extra and get the EPS model. I would not be without the power steering, what a difference it makes! Not to mention, push button diff lock, temp guage. hour meter, fuel guage and more. When it comes time to sell, the EPS model should win over the base. Well worth the investment! IMO

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Regardless of trim level,If I was buying again, I'd hold out for the 19 with the 686 engine.Actually, I'd probably wait til the 20 model year to see if any issues popped up with the new 686 the previous year. I bought my 16 eps the summer of 15. It was the first time I ever bought a first yr model vehicle of any kind. It will also be the last time I ever do it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
That's a darn good deal! We rarely see good deals like that on base model Kodiaks here in Canada.
Except for one in late 2016 that a dealer was selling for 6999$ Canadian. Basically comes up yo the same price when you factor in the exchange rate. I really considered it, but ended up buying a used EPS Grizzly with every comfort and luxury add ons you can image for thousands less.

I've driven many other machines without EPS since owning mine, and I can tell you I''ll never own one that doesn't have powersteering. And all owners of those machines are always very impressed with the difference EPS makes after driving mine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Really depends on what you are looking for . . .

If price is a major factor then this appears to be a very good deal for a solid 700cc ATV.

Folks that mud or do some serious off roading might suggest that the push button 4WD and locking differential is important and worth the cost.

Folks that get the ATV to haul firewood, gravel, etc. might suggest that the upgraded hitch is worth the expense.

Folks that like the information a gauge package provides might say it's worth the cost.

And so on and so forth for the power steering, alloy rims, power steering, third light, etc.

For me personally I valued the upgraded tow hitch, gauges, third light and power steering . . . having the alloy rims was just icing on the cake for me. Other folks could care less about many of those extras.

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
I would of liked a full gauge pod like what is on the EPS models but really didn't care for the third headlight, I carry things at times that would block it and I didn't want the glare back at me.

For a full gauge pod I went with the Trail Tech gauges. It has everything that I want plus other options that they have, except it doesn't have a fuel level but I still have my low fuel light. One nice thing is that I now have a actual coolant temperature gauge and not just a light.

For the locking diff I went with the kit from 501 Parts. Yes I did have to install it but with their electric push button kit is is just like factory. Only you loose you 4x4 activation light on the dash, no biggie.

I did get a receiver hitch set up for a EPS model and it bolted right in. Took all of 5 minutes. I also picked up some A arm guards for a EPS model and installed them.

As for the power steering, I have never had it and really don't need it. Yes there have been a couple of times that it would of been nice but for 99.99% of my riding and plowing it wouldn't be needed.

In the long run what you can pick up a base model for and add a few accessories you will still be way under what a EPS model would run you.

Reactions: Buckmaster

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you want a bunch of good machine for a great price and will not miss the ad ons, this is a good way to go. Lots of fun and practicalness and less investment!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would of liked a full gauge pod like what is on the EPS models but really didn't care for the third headlight, I carry things at times that would block it and I didn't want the glare back at me.

. ..

FYI . . . you can turn off the third headlight when you don't need it or want it. It helps when plowing, but in the Summer on a long trip when I have gas cans loaded in my front basket I turn it off for the exact reasons you mention.

·
Super Moderator
288 Posts
FYI . . . you can turn off the third headlight when you don't need it or want it. It helps when plowing, but in the Summer on a long trip when I have gas cans loaded in my front basket I turn it off for the exact reasons you mention.
3rd headlight is one of 2 things i dislike about mr 18 SE, that and it should have recoil start with decompressor just for back up.

sure you can turn off the 3rd light by switching to low beams, but I ride trails at night where high beams are pretty much mandatory at night to see bears, wolves, and moose crossing the trails.

As soon as I decide on a light upgrade for the main lights, that 3rd light pod will be a storage spot

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think a lot depends on how long you intend to own the machine. Most people want the extras and consider them important. Resale value will plummet with a basic machine. I would never buy a machine, new or used, without things like power steering, diff lock, push button 4-wheel drive, speedometer etc.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think a lot depends on how long you intend to own the machine. Most people want the extras and consider them important. Resale value will plummet with a basic machine. I would never buy a machine, new or used, without things like power steering, diff lock, push button 4-wheel drive, speedometer etc.
I must disagree with that statement in red. I am an avid buyer of good low mileage used vehicles, bikes, and many things. I always target those used things with all the bells and whistles like "limited" and the top models of each item. Often the base models are sold at prices close to the top models which can be bought for only a slight percentage higher. The ratio of loss in value proves to me that more value is lost dollar for dollar on the "fluff and puff" models than on the basic vehicle.

Having said all that, all vehicles/toys/equipment depreciate....miles and condition are the only things that help hold real resale value.

I like all the "fluff and puff" that I can get on everything I buy!!!! If I were to buy used quads I would look for loaded models....because I can buy them after someone else took the hit on depreciation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a base model and love it. I work the **** out of it doing food plots and running corn into areas. The quad plus pulling a jetsled I can take in 800lbs per trip. Ive never had power steering on a quad so I cant compare but cant really ever see myself needing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will say I had an 03 Grizzly with dif lock and that quad would go through far more than this base Kodiak. Got the Kodiak stuck the first day.

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
If you want a diff lock and even push button 4x4 check out 501Parts.com

I did the diff lock last summer and while it took a little bit of time it is a easy mod to the base Kodiak. Their standard diff lock kit will still use a lever for 4x4 and locking the diff but they also offer a electric version. But you do loose the 4x4 light on the dash.

Reactions: eshoremd
1 - 16 of 16 Posts