Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last ride out I had a very steep downhill, and found myself getting a little unsettled behind the bars. Been thinking about a bar swap ever since, and wanted to get advice here.
First thought is to do Grizzly bars. Seems like they should be plug-n-play.
next thought is the ROX kit (back-order).
And the last thought is, with about 2-1/2” higher bars, do I need the Grizzly seat too?
Right now Partzilla is showing bars and seat for about $150.
Who has did this? How is the seated position? Seems like I heard 1 say they hated it. Love learning from your experiences... it’s SO much cheaper and faster! Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
JimP did the swap with grizzly bars. I am sure he will chime in. I don't remember him saying he switched seats.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
Did I hear mention my name?

The Grizzly bars gave me about a 1 1/2 inch bar rise and I haven't seen any need for a Grizzly seat, at least yet.

I did play around with the brake handles and the throttle position for quite a while to find what was comfortable.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JD864

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1.5” is better. Is your riding aggressive, standing a lot? Would you mind sharing height? Recommend it?

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
I'm 400 miles away from my Kodiak right now so I can't get the height but when I measured it the measurements were from the floor board.

I got them so that I could stand up and ride without being slouched over, I'm 6'4" and while they could of been another inch higher they are comfortable enough when I am standing up to ride.

Yes, if you need a bit more heigth I would recommend them

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm 400 miles away from my Kodiak right now so I can't get the height but when I measured it the measurements were from the floor board.

I got them so that I could stand up and ride without being slouched over, I'm 6'4" and while they could of been another inch higher they are comfortable enough when I am standing up to ride.

Yes, if you need a bit more heigth I would recommend them

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have done the bar swap and seat swap. I'm 6'2" and first tried the seat and loved the extra padding, that left me a little hunched over so I tried the bars also. I love the new expanded cockpit area as I am a tall person. one little trouble is routing the brake line and the cable through the cluster as i did not raise those but just a little cut let them fit through. Love the extra seat padding ...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ive done the grizzly bars. I love the extra 1.5 inches. Im 6'2" and standing with the kodiak bars left me all hunched over. Im with jim, maybe I could use 1 more inch. I also made sure to have them a little more forward, and not leaning back towards me. Much better overall control.

I am on a base model, with no center light and cluster. No problem with the cables.

Not done the grizzly seat

·
Registered
297 Posts
The grizzly seat would counteract the grizzly bars.

I'm 6'2 and found the stock bars too low as well, I ended up buying some tusk 30mm risers for 20$

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are also rox style rotating risers that can be had on ebay/Amazon for 30$ or so. I have a set of those on an old Honda trike.

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
I'm sure that the risers are quite strong and secure enough for the purpose but I like the single piece bar setup.

As for the cable lengths if you go much higher than the Grizzly bars you might get into problems on all the Kodiaks

Reactions: Jssrvlz and JD864

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
From an installation perspective, I like the riser idea. Then I can leave everything connected... 30 mm would be 1-1/4” rather than 1.5, which might be perfect for me. I’m only 5’10, and just looking for a little more than stock. Our bars are 7/8” right?

Currently, the Rox are running ~85. Pivoting would be nice though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeap 7/8 bars

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like the Rox riser is 2” for all of them. Sounds like that would get tight on cables, if the Grizzly bar is 1-1/2” higher.

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
23 Posts
Looks like the Rox riser is 2” for all of them. Sounds like that would get tight on cables, if the Grizzly bar is 1-1/2” higher.
I just ordered the risers. I'm gonna give em a try, figure the extra 1/2 in cable play over grizzly bars shouldn't be too hard to find. Plus the pivoting option leaves room to fine tune. Worst case, I'll just return them. I'm just shy of 6'5.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just ordered the risers. I'm gonna give em a try, figure the extra 1/2 in cable play over grizzly bars shouldn't be too hard to find. Plus the pivoting option leaves room to fine tune. Worst case, I'll just return them. I'm just shy of 6'5.
That’s actually where I was headed too. But nervous about cable length. Also, I’m only 5’10” so I don’t really need HIGH bars, actually targeting 1”
You are doing Rox then?

·
Registered
'21 STD all stock
23 Posts
That’s actually where I was headed too. But nervous about cable length. Also, I’m only 5’10” so I don’t really need HIGH bars, actually targeting 1”
You are doing Rox then?
Yeah I'm doing the Rox ones, ordered them on Prime so I know it's an easy return if they wanna stretch the cable too much or impact steering left and right limits. I've done similar height risers on motorcycles and snowmachines before and have had luck with 2in or less

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the Rox kit on my 19' (mine was the actually machine use to build the 19+ kit) No issues with the cables being too tight. They are quite a bit wider than the stock setup and have less rake which I love since they are almost an exact match for my snowmobiles bars.

Reactions: JD864
1 - 19 of 19 Posts