Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 ESP SE
When I first started this ATV at the dealer ship when picking it up new, the plastic around the front gauges and rear fenders shook (vibrated excessively), when I got on and just touched the throttle the ATV jerked hard into motion (after 200 miles this problem has gone away). After the first 5 mile ride I was sitting on the machine while it idled and it burnt my left leg. It was so hot I didn’t think I could ride it. There is a well know heat problem with this machine.
Now at 212 miles the motor has started burning oil and smoking on startup and I can smell and see oil smoke while going on slow short rides.
I am 71 and my wife is 69 we are not hard riders and followed break in instructions in the manual. I checked the air filter box and it was dusty so I cleaned it but I think dust has gotten into the motor and damaged it because of a poorly designed air cleaner and box. There is a well-known problem with the air box and air filter fit. Checked air filter and it was super clean on the inside so per service desk person dust is not the problem.
So far I have a very negative opinion about the quality of this $9000 Yamaha ATV and wish I had purchased another Honda!
02/21/2017 214 miles on ATV and brought in to Century Sales for service along with this letter. Note warranty expired 02/15/2017. Complained to service counter person about oil burning and smelly blue smoke coming from ATV exhaust. Asked service rep for help diagnosing and fixing this problem.
Never received recall notification from Yamaha on spring replacement for cold weather starting.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
On the recall did you register your ATV with Yamaha? Perhaps yours wasn't included in the recall or TSB for the spring replaceming.

Perhaps a call to Yamaha corporate instead of your dealer might help you out, you never know.

Did you do a inspection on it when you picked it up and did the dealer offer to fix it or what did he say about the vibration?

I'm not sure of a know problem on the heat on the left side but I have also noticed it but it doesn't bother me while riding. I know a friend had a problem with it when he was riding with a pair of shorts on.

Reactions: Link

·
Registered
30 Posts
To dbldibbo Why did you take the machine home knowing it had those problems? and why would you drive it for 200 miles like that?? I dont get it??

·
Registered
757 Posts
Short runs during the break in period tend to carbon up the plug and cause smoking. As far as the head goes, your sitting on a 708 cc engine stuffed in a 550 chassis. As long as you don't ride with shorts on, you should be fine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the the dealer didn't do their job on the recall in the first place, I would call Yamaha myself and try to get a new replacement ATV from them...with the dealer picking up the bill...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Short runs during break in period cause the plug to carbon up and the bike will smoke some. Might be as simple as cleaning the plug and tuning the idle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Service person said the vibration was normal for this ATV.
Service person checked and this ATV had a recall and service dept had a call list which we were on but we just hadn't been call yet.
Taking home a brand new ATV with vibration and jerky throttle response figuring they would work themselves out during break in period.
We are used to bring good new ATVs home with no quality problems.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Short trips during break in period fouls up the plug on these engines and it will make smoke. Simply cleaning the plug and tuning the idle may just do the trick.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Short runs during the break in period can cause the plug to foul thus creating smoking issues. Cleaning the plug and tuning the idle just might cure your problems.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Slow short rides during the break in period foul up the plug on these machines. This causes smoking on start up. I had my plug cleaned on first service and expressed concerns with smoking. The tech told me it was short runs causing this. He said the kodiaks are made to work and be put through their paces. I have taken it on several good runs that gave both me and the bike a good workout. Not an issue since. They do get warm between your legs but it is a smaller chassis with a 708 cc stuffed in it after all. As long as you don't wear shorts driving, I can't see it really being an issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would recommend you contact the Manager at the Dealership and discuss these issues with him/her directly and try to get to the bottom of it. You spent a good chunk of money on your Kodiak so I would think if they are a decent place of business he/she would listen to what issues you are having with your Kodiak. If not, phone the Head Office of Yamaha in your country and talk with their service people.
- Shake and rattle. You could try to tighten the screws in the areas you hear the rattling. Its not to hard, just a couple of simple tools.
- Check the level of your oil, as excess smoke can/not always, is a sign of excess oil and if there is to much oil it can cause oil pressure issues. Seals will leak if it was run with to much oil pressure. Is there visible oil spot when the machine is parked and hasn't moved for a while? Then it might be leaking our of a gasket somewhere.
- As for heat form the engine here is something "dashaint" from the forum has advised and I will be doing this in the spring

"I had the same issue with heat coming out of the left side and burning my leg up after riding hard, when wearing shorts. I got some header wrap and problem is gone.
$26 at oreillys
2" Titanium
Design Engineering - Exhaust Wrap
Part # 010129
You'll also need 2 Locking Ties"
I can tell as a Honda owner, that this is a very good machine. I have not had any issues with mine and it runs as well or better than my "good ole Foremam" did and is much more comfortable and so far, just as reliable. Knock on wood

Reactions: dashaint
1 - 12 of 12 Posts