Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS (replacing my 1987 Moto4 250) and intend to use it for heavy noxious weed spraying, light snow plowing (Warn 3500-lb winch), dragging larger fallen timber off ranch trails, and general running around over pretty rough terrain, mostly at slow speeds and low engine rpms. Some work will be done in cold temps - even sub-zero. I fear that the stock battery and charging system won't handle the loads, especially when winching myself out of a mess with no engine power. I've considered fabricating a suitable battery box and wiring an automotive battery in parallel with the stock battery. While easily done, would doing so be advisable or could it damage or ruin the machine's electronics and/or charging system? Would stock fuses guard against over-currents from a higher amperage auxiliary battery?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I would think you'd need an isolator or you'd do damage. Personally, i think you're fine as is. I plow, and winch with mine as well as periods of low speed travel and no issues.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree, don’t think you will have a issue. I wouldn’t start adding all that without trying it all stock first.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you want to do it you can, the battery will only offer back up voltage that will boost amperage a bit, but it will not over stress anything. A hundred batteries in parallel will not hurt it, it just gives you a lot of weight. I have a friend that has done what you describe, and he built a battery support out in the front of the machine, and it acts like a forward weight to keep the front on the ground when climbing steep hills. It is just a car battery and it sits there exposed. I, like the others think that is overkill, but it will give you lots of back up power when the engine is not running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion of an isolator. I could easily add one and use the extra power only when necessary with the engine off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your response. With an extra battery, I figured I'd have much easier access to the system for a battery maintainer. But I sure could wire the stock battery to come up with exposed leads for a maintainer in order to avoid removing the front carrier and panels for one, and try the stock system first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My thought was to mount the extra battery atop the receiver hitch at the rear of the machine such that it wouldn't interfere with use of the hitch. Among my "stuff" somewhere I have a heavy duty plug I thought I'd use so I could easily and quickly get access to the rear end oil check plug. Mounting it there would also simplify wiring a plug for the 30-gal saddle sprayer I intend to use with it as well as a very convenient way to connect a battery maintainer. I agree with you - the system shouldn't demand any more amperage than it is capable of handling under normal conditions. Nor should the charging system put out any more amperage than it is designed to provide. It would seem that a system call for excessive amperage to any of the components or if the charging system over produced, the machine's fuse arrangement would serve as protection. Too, I could fuse the additional battery at say 15 amps as I believe that the sprayer and winch draw a maximum of around 12. And finally, an excess amperage condition would seem to mean failure of the particular component - ie. the starter.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You will need a much bigger fuse than 15 amps, if you are ever going to rely on this to help start the engine, you basically can't fuse it if you will have it set up to help it start. The friend of mine has his mounted in front with the terminals below the front rack, it is a support bracket that might block air flow in my opinion. The reason he put it there, is it was handy to wire, and liked the front end weight as he climbs steep hills at times. His is not fused.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The trouble with having it on the front of the Kodiak for a aide in climbing steep hills, what are you going to do when you are going down that same hill and all the weight is now on the downhill side?

As for using it for starting with a main battery being dead, you can always just pack a pair of jumper cables or install a relay with a push button to activate that relay for when you want to use it to help with starting.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd leave it with just one battery unless you actually run into an issue with your usage.

I rerouted the power port to be constant 12v so I could just plug in a charger to it. Works fine for slow charging, but not sure for starting. Haven't needed a jump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good food for thought, folks. Mayhap I'm a little paranoid. The last time I got hung up in a muddy creek crossing with my old Moto-4 250 - no engine and a dead battery from attempts to winch myself out - I was treated to a 14-mile hike across the ranch to get home. And at age 72, I don't really need any more practice at long hikes. Too, there were no current bushes handy so jumper cables would have been no help even if I had some along (I jest).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Weed spraying can be **** on a battery, used a Terrapro and ended putting a marine deep cycle on the back rack with 2 gauge extensions. I'm not sure what I would do with a Kodiak, I think an Isolator with a Deep cycle is the only way. You might only get a couple of hours of spraying without stopping for a fast charge and a beer. ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
You can get a small car battery, light weight and wire it in red to red, black to black and that works.

Read my earlier post to see what I said earlier, and I still think the idea is a good one.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
secondary battery

I was just looking the up a few days ago, I found this item to be most likely the best option out there. its 60 bucks on amazon right now. its called " True UTV-SBI-18".

you can use any battery and won't damage the charging system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I took the plunge and mounted an auto battery above the receiver hitch Used heavy wire to connect it to the stock battery and a heavy duty plug so I can easily disconnect it if I want. So far I've experienced no downside to the project.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just an Idea how I have solved the potential problem with empty/weak battery, or to start in severe cold etc
I have permanently connected an 12V 100Amp Connector on the battery poles on my 2018 Kodiak. When I dont use it, I just put it under the plastic cover under the headlight. If I need it for an extra start battery, or for some easy access for charging I can just bring it out and connect it in accordance with the pictures. Very convenient! The connector is an Anderson Power Product and is actually intended for removable winch etc.

This instead to access the battery with jump cables etc .

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far it has worked quite well - no issues whatever. I've put around 50 miles on the machine just running around the yard and corrals with lots of engine-off starts and stops. Even jump started a couple of machines with it and did some engine-off winching, any of which would probably have drained the stock battery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts