Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok have an issue with my kodiak that leans about 1/2 to the left front side. Nothing seems bent. Could it be the shock. When i jack up the atv left tire sits lower than the right. What i did notice which i will try to explain the best i can. With the atv lowered to the ground i count the number of springs to the cap that comes down over the shaft. One side i count 6 to it and the other 7. Can the springs be the problem. Also can i swap the left and right to see of the difference is the same. Can i easily remove the shocks by raising and removing top and bottom bolts. Will the spring fly off. Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What year is your Kodiak? Are you the original owner? If not, do the springs look identical? Take them off and measure them. The spring doesn’t come off the shock so they remove easily with the 2 bolts. But first check the spring preload, are the springs adjusted to the same setting? If not jack up the front end and turn the Knurled ring at the bottom of the spring with large channel lock pliers so that both are in the same notch.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sounds like the springs are not the same by what you said about counting the rings

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the original owner. Only has 650km. No visible major signs of damage. It did have a plow on it. Shock settings are the same and shocks look the same. Im hoping its just that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There are a lot smarter people than me on here... but I would start with some simple tape measure exercises on a garage floor. Eliminate wheel / tires, then suspension, A-arms... and eventually see if the frame is bent. Get it on jack stands and confirm dimensions left vs right. Use a level if you have to

·
Registered
408 Posts
Compare those springs carefully, your issue has to be springs or the mounting on them.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, they are the same and can be swapped.

The Yamaha part number for them is 2SM-F3350-10-00

·
Registered
408 Posts
In your first post you said that "One side I count 6 and the other 7", I think this needs to be explained.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Send pictures of the shocks and suspension you might get better help if we can see what your trying to explain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See pics. Theres a white dot on one sude at the front. The side that it leans on left side has dot on back. There is less of a gap about 1/2 “ on left side between white dot and part that controls the stiffness of shock. That i do not have a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
I looked at your pictures and there does not appear to be a major difference on either side.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's really hard to tell just from a couple of pictures. I'd need a measurement from the wheel hub to something common like the fender

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looking at the 2 pics, hard to tell, but almost looks like one shock is set to 3rd notch, and the other is set to 4th notch. Might just be the angle of the pic... But I would check there

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts