Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The first of February myself and a buddy headed down to Arizona for our annual javelina hunt. This has been going on now for 26 years and we have just as much fun now as we did 26 years ago.

I was riding my Kodiak 700, and he was riding a Artic Cat SE. Neither one gave us a bit of problems while we were riding them on a average of 20 miles a day for 10 days. We met up with a friend down there who had a very old Polaris that he bought way back in 1999 or early 2000. It has been rode hard and put up wet so to say.

While I didn't bag my javelina my friend did get his. I figured that I have killed enough of them that I can let a year or two go by without bringing one home. It is just fun to get out with good friends and have fun.

For lunches we brought along some chimi chungas or whatever they are called. At noon we would all meet up and build a small fire and then once the fire was down to coals we would place them onto the fire to cook.

Then with a little bit of salsa they were ready to eat.

For those of you who have ridden down there you find the roads as the dry washes run

Some are better than others

Here is the lucky hunter

Then on our last day I decided to try and ride the sand spider that we found in one of the washes.

It was hard to come home. This year down there it was a little bit cooler than the last few years but at 60-70 degrees F it wasn't bad. I came home to snow on the ground and had to put the plow back onto the Kodiak. This morning I plowed 6" of the cold white stuff.

Registered
Arizona looks to be a great place to explore. 26 years every year? Thats just awesome.

I dont have much experience hunting, i will eventually get my chance though.

Chimichangas! Awesome camp meal, good thinking馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It was a great time had by all. Our friend from Arizona that I met out on the desert 24 years ago is a retired Colonel from the Marines. He is 84 years old but still gets out and goes with us, as the stories go it is some of his favorite times of the year. He used to drive a old VW buggy but we converted him to a ATV even if it is a Polaris.

We usually break up during the day and hunt our own areas except for our Marine. He'll go with one of us or strike out on his own to see what he can find. We then meet up for lunch and usually a nap before striking out for the rest of the day. We do a lot of hiking and glassing for the javelina. They don't call them the ghost of the desert for nothing. I have spotted some on a hillside and after I hike down a ways it will take me a half hour to find them again they blend in so well. It is just a fun hunt.

Registered
Are feral hogs impacting the javelina population at all? That looks like an awesome time Jim. Since anytime a field is a successful day in my eyes, I say congrats.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Not where we are hunting. I think that this area gets too hot and dry for feral hogs. Plus there are only a couple of populations of the hogs that I know of in Arizona, one up north and perhaps one down around Yuma. We were 30 miles north of Tucson.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts