Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I really wish they had a back up pull start on these things. Some how I killed the battery(I know how, I left the lights on all night without the machine running) while camping with a couple friends. Now usually I can just hook up jumpers to another quad but nope forgot them. On my buddies Honda we can just pop start it cause its a manual. This thing is kind of a creature comfort beast where its helpless with out its precious battery...Rant over. I'm not saying a pull start would be great either cause I'm sure this thing would be pretty stout to pull over but maybe they could do like a decompression switch or something.

Super Moderator
On my old 2000 400 Kodiak it had a pull start and it took a pretty good pull to get it to turn over with the pull rope. So when I saw that the 700 didn't have it I didn't worry too much about it. A cheap set of jumper cables are a good piece of mind and I have always carried a set with me. I have never used them for myself but I have used them for a couple of buddies that have had problems out in the wilds. I don't know about a decompression switch since that would take a pretty good redesign of parts of the engine

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I usually have a set of cables in the truck too but I didn't this time. I will definitely be adding these to my always carry kit.

Registered
I carry one of these on my Kodiak. Ballistic Performance Back-Pack Back-up Power Supply and Emergency Jump Starter - 103-001

Registered
I'm way late to the party but a small jump box is a worthwhile investment. The can be had for well under 50 bucks and are small enough not to be a pain to pack. They will definately do the trick even on a very dead battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The small little lithium jump pack is exactly what I have been using it has saved my butt twice when it was like -29F and the regular little battery just didn't have the gusto to crank. My buddy just throws the boat battery on the back of his old Polaris for the winter.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts