Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have used my winch a couple times and will not own an ATV without one on it now. After I put the winch on the Kodiak I chuckled a little thinking I would probably never use the darn thing. How wrong I was! I got into deep snow on a trail in southern Wyoming in late May last year, and if it wasn't for the winch I wouldn't have got out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did the same with my jeep. Fell thru the crust of the snow, there was a river running beneath it. Buried the jeep to the hood. I think I winched 6 different points to get it out. Glad I had it.

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
It is also handy if you carry at least 100' of some kind of rope or something just in case you don't find something to anchor your winch to with the 50 or so feet of cable that is on it. I carry a extra 200' of mule tape that I got from work. It is rated at 2400 lbs and that 200' only takes up a little bit of space in my bags. Plus it can be cut to lengths for other uses.

If you ride in the winter you will find that heated grips are worth their weight. That was one of the first things that I did. However the newer grips want to to tie the power directly to the battery and use their on/off switch to control them. The only problem would come up if you forgot to turn them off when you got done riding and ended up with a dead battery. I placed a relay on them that is controlled by the ignition switch. That way when I turn the machine off the grips are also off.

·
Registered
699 Posts
-Heated grips and windshield are must for cold winter riding.

-Also I'll suggest lighter 18 or 20 gram Clutch weights, with 1 or 1.5mm shim. Better performance and more low end grunt for cheap.

-And I'm a big fan of front diff lock. So I'll suggest either the very affordable mechanical cable version or if your budget permits, the fancy push button electric style of the Grabber diff lock conversion.
http://www.501parts.com/product-category/grabber-diff-lock-kit/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts