Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the K & N YA-7016 today. Was looking at the stock setup on mine last night after changing the oil. It def looks cheesy, especially the foam ring. Hoping the K & N has a better interface. Taking machine on trip next week, will be second one since top-end rebuild. Has anybody else installed an aftermarket air filter and what was your experience?

Registered
I installed the same filter about 2 weeks ago and the fit is perfect. I've been riding in somewhat dusty conditions and no dust seems to be getting by. The recharging kit a bought came with aerosol can of oil which I think is more convenient. Lots of mixed reviews on filters lol! But I'm happy with it馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Power difference?

I installed the same filter about 2 weeks ago and the fit is perfect. I've been riding in somewhat dusty conditions and no dust seems to be getting by. The recharging kit a bought came with aerosol can of oil which I think is more convenient. Lots of mixed reviews on filters lol! But I'm happy with it馃憤
DId u notice a difference in the engine performance?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Received the filter today. The silicone skirt has a very secure fit against the intake tube. Took me a minute to figure it out because U really have to push in and down on it but it fits like a glove! Huge improvement over the stock filter.

Registered
Are you guys going to use the K&N pre filter as well. It is my understanding that it's recommended for off road applications because the k&n is known for letting a bit of dust pass through.

Registered
Does anyone have before and after pictures?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prefilter

Are you guys going to use the K&N pre filter as well. It is my understanding that it's recommended for off road applications because the k&n is known for letting a bit of dust pass through.[/QUOTE

Was not aware of a prefilter. This itself has to be better than the foam filter that was stock (in my mind). The mechanic that tore my top end down said he noticed a grayish/tan tinge to the top of my piston which he thought was a small amount of dirt getting by. This was before the K & N

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just looked at them online. Don't know if there is enough room in there for another layer of foam

Registered
Not only is the pre filter a really good idea with K&N's in dusty or sandy conditions I've heard of desert racers adding a ladies stocking over the prefilter.
I went with the EHS Racing foam Uni filter kit with some super sticky PJ1 foam filter spray.

Registered
I took the machine out for a week but 120 miles on it, can't say I noticed anything as far as power and such, but I still think it has a better fit.

Registered
does anyone know if the "K & N YA-7016" filter will work on a 2019 450?

Super Moderator
does anyone know if the "K & N YA-7016" filter will work on a 2019 450?

I doubt it. Looking at the parts diagrams the filter for a 700 and a 450 are two different types.

But you never know unless you try to put one in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts