Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

Air filter fix

37K views 53 replies 22 participants last post by  rancherMike 
#1 ·
Just joined to let you all know that there is a really easy fix for stupid foam filter dusting your engine. Napa gold 6449 air filter and a 1 1/2 pvc coupler. Put the coupler inside filter and slips inside breather tube in factory air box. 2016 Kodiak 700. Put air box lid on your done. 70 cfm filter. Performance seems fine. I have dusted to many engine with foam. Just thought I would let you all know this simple fix.

#10 · (Edited)
It looks like you could put your factory foam filter over the paper filter but 70 cfm paper filter is border line for air flow. I don't think it's necessary. Just run paper alone. Paper will plug
quickly in extreme environments. Might change paper filter every oil change if needed.

I only have a hundred miles with this set up. So I'm experimenting, others may have more input. I just don't want to dust another engine.

#17 ·
I manage a 28000 acre cattle ranch. There is a lot of dust. If I run foam filter I can't clean them enough to keep from dusting engines. It's just something I've learned the hard way. Foam filters are a joke, and I hate seeing people loose engines because of them. If I was racing, and planing on a new top end every race, foam would be the way to go. That's not my style of riding so paper filter is what I use.

#19 ·
Maybe alittle. It seemed alittle lean so I adjusted my throttle position to a more comfortable position which limited my wide open throttle some. I still have way more power than I need.
The lean mixture might just be the way they are from reading other posts. I converted mine to paper filter on the first day I got it.

#23 · (Edited)
i cannot locate that air filter from the numbers in the pics you have... where can i get one? can you provide a link? best i can find is this, maybe it's the same? https://killerfilter.com/filters/WIX/546790_WIX-filter.html

*update* I didnt see the napa box photo, ok.. Napa 6790 / WIX 46790 $30 on amazon and $20 on ebay. nice.

#27 ·
Hey Magard!
Read the air filter modification you did. Have a 2016 Griz. I did the same but, used a ACE Hardware "couple" Part # 43107 (1.965") vs (1.900") that the PVC pipe is. For your info also, Wix air filter P/N WA10011 has a radial seal diameter of 1.800" has a Length of: 6.594" Top & Bottom "OD" of 4.880 inch, and has a CFM air flow of 140. Got this from them direct. Double the air flow of the NAPA filter 6449. K&N makes a grease for sealing radial air type air filters. P/N 99-0704. I am not a member of this forum, but my email is: I do not know if you will get this info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.