Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my girl and I trailered our quads from our home in NC to Espyville PA (by Pymatuning Lake) where we have 5 acres with trails. Weather has been awful so we've been riding in nothing but mud. After a couple of days of riding my dummy light came on for overheating. So, the first thing I checked was the air filter. It's real clean but seems to have a layer of what appears to be blue grease on it. My Kodiak is new, bought in April, so I'm thinking it came like this from the factory...or is there a chance something, somehow leaked into the airbox? I'm a total quad noob so please be gentle. :wink2:

·
Registered
42 Posts
filters are coated from the factory to displace moisture so no worries there. Check your radioator and make sure it's clear of mud, have you checked your coolant level? Is it still overheating? Fan kicking on all the time?

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Your overheating problem is going to be the radiator and coolant. Like Firemed said check the coolant level and that the radiator is not clogged up with anything.

The owners manual will tell you how to check the coolant level.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The blue grease is the air filter oil from the factory. After you ride it for awhile I would re oil it with different oil, maybe k&n oil. After a while on mine all of the grease either dripped off or got sucked off and it was all oover the bottom of my air box

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Seems my biggest issue was the absence of the coolant reservoir cap and complete lack of coolant. Cap must have come off at some point. I filled the radiator and reservoir to specs, as well as cleaned off the thoroughly mud-caked radiator and rode about 20 minutes with no issues before the rain hit. The local ATV place had to order a cap for me so, in the meantime, I capped the reservoir with electrical tape and a 1' PVC pipe cap. It seems to be holding tight.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I took a bit of the factory blue air filter oil off my filter with a paper towel. Seemed to It had a tad too much. Jmho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts