Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy some muddling tires to fit a 12” rim, STI outback max or sludge hammers seem to be a good options but i was wondering if anyone on here has a muddling set up for stock rims?

Also considering going with something light weight like slingshots but i have two sets of stock rims so i was hoping to have a set of mudding tires and a set of trail tires so i want my mudding tires to be more aggressive as i wont be riding them on hard packed trails or roads much.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
What size tire are you thinking of running ? Size and weight will determine if one should also do clutch mods to gain the most performance from said mud tire.
I installed 28 inch cst wildthangs , true height 27 inch. I based my decision on weight and not wanting to decrease stability to much.

·
Super Moderator
253 Posts
Sludge hammers only come in 30" on 12" rims. Definitely need some clutch work for that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have The Maxxis Zillas on stock 12' rims. They are light weight and awesome.

Reactions: Madmax

·
Super Moderator
253 Posts
And a lift kit I would bet.
No, apparently, they just clear, but if you have snorkels, the 30" sludge hammers rub on the bottom of snorkel tubes at full compression of front suspension. 2" lift is then needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m thinking of running 27” tires at stock tire width, and hopefully I wont require clutch work. I’m also installing a 2“ lift anyways just for the ground clearance so that wont be a issue

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’m thinking of running 27” tires at stock tire width, and hopefully I wont require clutch work. I’m also installing a 2“ lift anyways just for the ground clearance so that wont be a issue
Most bias mud tires run small, so with a 27 your more than likely going to be 26-26 1/2 inch tall. I would say buy em and run them , then if you think you lost a bit you can install some shims and a spring after if you like.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So now I’m thinking of 28” mega mayhems, anybody have any reviews on those tires??

·
Registered
191 Posts
Before I bought my cst wildthangs that as of now after 2 outings I love. I was looking at mega mayhems & zillas also. The 3 have very similar tread patterns and just something to consider the mayhems were the heaviest of the 3. I never read a bad review on the mayhems from the guys that were running them. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in them if you try them.

·
Super Moderator
253 Posts
So now I’m thinking of 28” mega mayhems, anybody have any reviews on those tires??
So just a heads up the mayhams will be around 5lbs per tire heavier than wild thangs in the same 28" size.
The 27" wild thangs are approximately 7lbs lighter each than the 28" mayhams.

That's alot of extra rotating mass. You will definitely notice a loss with the mayhams.

·
Registered
613 Posts
5 to 7 lbs per tire is a fare bit of weight!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going to pick up 28x9x12 front and 28x11x12 rear mega mayhems this weekend not sure how they measure up once installed but hopefully fitment wont be a issue 😬
fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Going to pick up 28x9x12 front and 28x11x12 rear mega mayhems this weekend not sure how they measure up once installed but hopefully fitment wont be a issue 😬
fingers crossed lol
Awesome , photos and a full review of the tires please . I’m really interested in the mounted / installed height on your wheeler and mud performance. Do I see shims and a spring in your future purchases ?

·
Super Moderator
253 Posts
5 to 7 lbs per tire is a fare bit of weight!
Exactly, my buddy was looking at mayhams for his rubicon, after we looked up weight differences between then and zillas/wild thangs, it was a no brainer. He's running the wild thangs now.
Not to mention cst/maxxis make a more dependable tire than ITP from my experience.

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome , photos and a full review of the tires please . I’m really interested in the mounted / installed height on your wheeler and mud performance. Do I see shims and a spring in your future purchases ?
Yes definitely, i have shims ready and if needed ill be buying a purple EPI secondary spring, I’m still going to have the stock rims and tires for asphalt/hard pack trails so I don’t want to go crazy with the clutching.
looks like the 28” mayhems are 31lbs front and 34lbs rear so more weight than i would like but thats what you get when you buy mud tires i guess

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes definitely, i have shims ready and if needed ill be buying a purple EPI secondary spring, I’m still going to have the stock rims and tires for asphalt/hard pack trails so I don’t want to go crazy with the clutching.
looks like the 28” mayhems are 31lbs front and 34lbs rear so more weight than i would like but thats what you get when you buy mud tires i guess
I set my wife’s kodiak up on 26 inch k299 bear claws , 1.5 mm shims and purple spring with stock kodiak weights and she loves it. I bet you could install the spring and be fine with the stock tires, and enjoy the low end power.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts