Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a brand new 2017 Kodiak. I'm happy. But, the hitch doesn't seem all that robust. This machine will be used for farm work, and hunting. I expect I'll be pulling up to around the limits of the machine periodically. Does anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket hitch?

Thanks,

Blisterflap

·
Registered
627 Posts
If that hitch fails, your asking to much of the atv imo. You have to keep in mind the limitations of the machine and the hitch are probably very close.

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
I agree with Nomad, while these machines will do a lot of work there is a limit to what they will pull and they really were not designed to pull very much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just picked up a brand new 2017 Kodiak. I'm happy. But, the hitch doesn't seem all that robust. This machine will be used for farm work, and hunting. I expect I'll be pulling up to around the limits of the machine periodically. Does anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket hitch?

Thanks,

Blisterflap
You can always purchase the hitch that comes on the Kodiak SE, that's a easy upgrade

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can always purchase the hitch that comes on the Kodiak SE, that's a easy upgrade
I bought the Yamaha hitch receiver to replace the base model hitch plate, It looks pretty tough to me, and the way it is bolted on I think it could pull the stated towing load limit all day and night.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I assumed the op meant the 2" receiver that comes with the eps or SE.If he has the base and wishes to upgrade, that would be the route I would go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
you're right, the factory hitch doesn't look all that "robust", however, the limiting factor for towing with the Kodiak is not the hitch. it is the quad itself, simply because of diminished tongue weight capacity. i tow 1000-1200lbs regularly with no problem...if, and only if i load my trailer correctly with VERY little tongue weight. Nomad hit the nail on the head. the supplied factory receiver on the eps or se will handle anything within the limitations of the Kodiak itself. imo, any upgrades to the receiver would be for aesthetics only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts