Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added The ATV Tek Single Bow Holder - holds my bow and yard tools. this accessories is fantastic

also installed a curt back rack - i sprayed it down with truck bed liner for extra protection

added the ATV Tek Fender Bags - They were bigger than i expected but man they are awesome

added some UFO Hand gaurds as well. Only thing left now is a winch, someday :)

Reactions: Rob-c

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looking great!

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Looks good.

Have you installed a hour meter to keep track of hours for maintenance?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir i have the basic yamaha hour meter. Ive got 12.8 hours on it since getting it

Reactions: Vincent and JimP

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Good, I'm not sure if you have looked at them or not but I have a Trail Tech Striker meter on mine. It gives me a speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, voltage gauge, coolant temperature gauge, and a couple of other things.

If you look at their web site you will see that you can even get one that has a GPS incorporated into it.

It is nice not having to guess on a few of these items when you are out trail riding.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good, I'm not sure if you have looked at them or not but I have a Trail Tech Striker meter on mine. It gives me a speedometer, odometer, trip odometer, voltage gauge, coolant temperature gauge, and a couple of other things.

If you look at their web site you will see that you can even get one that has a GPS incorporated into it.

It is nice not having to guess on a few of these items when you are out trail riding.
Hello Sir,

I did look at them when I bought my hour meter, I guess I just went the cheaper route lol. There really hasn't been a point where i said - i really wish i had that yet. maybe one day, but for now the hour meter works perfect. I Bought the machine used so I never really had an hour/odometer estimate anyways, just wanted the basic meter to measure hours as miles don't really matter to me.

Ill be using this machine until it can go anymore :) so that was my thinking behind that

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also - i installed the engine meter right after i changed the oil and diff fluids, so i was able to start with a base from that being it was a used machine.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Sounds good. I had a 2000 Kodiak 400 and just used a yearly maintenance program and sold it after I got my 700 in 2017. That machine just kept on going but the last year that I had it the engine started to have some excessive blow by with oil going into the air filter housing. I have no idea of how many miles I had on it but I had gone through 5 sets of tires.

On my 700 with the yearly maintenance I am using all synthetic fluids. Last year when I changed my engine oil it looked just like it did when I put it in. Here in June I'll do the fluid changes again and don't expect any surprises.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see that's just the funny thing - I changed the diff fluid - it looked perfect when i drained it, the oil honestly looked brand new too when I was draining it.

I used yamaha diff fluid for front and rear and honda oil for the oil, its what a local dealer had in stock at the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
For the rear diff that includes the wet brake you can use any GL4 or above rated oil. I am using Valvoline High Performance 80w-90 gear oil. The main thing is that you need to make sure that the fluid includes the friction modifier which is included with the GL4 rated oils. The friction modifier is what works with the wet brakes. It is the same as what is used in vehicles which have a limited slip rear ends to keep the clutches working properly.

The front end can use just a standard gear oil and the friction modifier is not needed but it doesn't hurt using it.

For the engine oil I am using Valvoline 4 stroke full synthetic 10w-40.

One handy item that I have found is a very large syringe with a long tube. It helps in getting fluid into the front diff along with the rear end. Once I purchased one I actually use it quite often when I don't want to have the problems that come with trying to use a funnel in a tight situation. Some other things that you might pick up when you go to the dealer would be some of the copper washers that go on the drain plugs. I can't remember but I believe that there are 3 different sizes on all the plugs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Jim! I appreciate all the information you have provided.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check it out in 5'11" and a stockier dude

Reactions: Colorado Kodiak 700

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pics of the inside. Top is fairly deep, the seperator comes out.

Reactions: Colorado Kodiak 700
1 - 16 of 16 Posts