Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this something that is done without major modification? I am considering ordering the parts if it is possible

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Is this something that is done without major modification? I am considering ordering the parts if it is possible
I mite be wrong but I "believe" you mite need a different ecu as the power steering is wired into it.

Unless your thinking on some generic aftermarket version witch would not be a problem

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
373 Posts
Factory parts are huuuuuuuuuge money, I do know that.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
This is a mod that really isn't worth the money even if it can be done on a base model

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
This is a mod that really isn't worth the money even if it can be done on a base model

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Certainly pricey

The two main components cost 2000$ new threw Yamaha

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I just looked at a few parts diagrams and if it can be done you would be into it for around $2000 +

Just about everything from the handle bars to the tie rods would need to be replaced.

It would be cheaper to try to find a totaled out Kodiak or Grizzly and buy it for parts to swap.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I just looked at a few parts diagrams and if it can be done you would be into it for around $2000 +

Just about everything from the handle bars to the tie rods would need to be replaced.

It would be cheaper to try to find a totaled out Kodiak or Grizzly and buy it for parts to swap.
Exactly. Best to sell and buy another quad with EPS

Reactions: JimP

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not even close to worth it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you guys feel about Powersportsnation?

Here are the 2 Parts that Vincent listed sold used.
$250 Yamaha Kodiak 700 16 Power Steering Control Module 2BG-859A0-00-00 20745
$250 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS 16 Power Steering Control Module 2BG-859A0-00-00 22375

$142 to buy all the other parts from Partzilla(comparing diagrams from non eps and eps)

would the atv still not be compatable? The tie rods appear to be the same, and Ujoint that ties into the Pitman arm look the same. just have to replace from the Pitman arm and Up?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you can get the major key components at a good price, its certainly worth it. I don't think you ll find alot of the answers you are looking for. I've never heard of anyone converting a base Kodiak to EPS before... So you will be the first to pioneer this kick A$$ add on. If you can get it to work for under 1000$, EPS is Very worth it!!!!!

Whatever part numbers are the same between models, are all small wins for you my friend

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I agree to compare all of the part numbers from the handle bars down to the tie rod ends between the EPS and non EPS models to see what extra you may have to purchase.

I have no idea on PSN for parts, if they guarantee that they work they may be a good parts source.

I also agree with Vincent, that you are about to try to attempt something that I have not heard of others attempting. I am sure that there is going to be a lot of trial and err and scratching your head on what goes where and what else you are going to need.

Good luck on it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I have stayed with the Armstrong Power steering. Hasnt failed me yet. Though not as comfortable

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I have the base model and for 99.99% of my riding I have found no need for power steering. I do mostly improved trails, and roads. For the 00.01% when I would of liked it I was in some rocks and I don't even know if power steering would of helped. It was a matter of moving a bit and cranking hard on the handle bars to get them to go where I wanted them to. Once I got moving the manual steering did the job quite nicely.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After riding my friends polaris 1000 xp Eps. I understand. If you are going down a trail, and a big rock kinda suprises you and your right front tire plows into it. The power steering will help it not rip right out of your hands. I have lost control a couple times from the steering being yanked out of my hands. And that is terrifying.

I believe there are upsides to both. You learn alot without power steering for sure

Reactions: JD864

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I have the base model and for 99.99% of my riding I have found no need for power steering. I do mostly improved trails, and roads. For the 00.01% when I would of liked it I was in some rocks and I don't even know if power steering would of helped. It was a matter of moving a bit and cranking hard on the handle bars to get them to go where I wanted them to. Once I got moving the manual steering did the job quite nicely.
This is where most confuse eps, it's not really designed to make it steer easier as much as it is to act as a shock/dampen impacts with roots & rocks & ruts. It does help steer easier to an extent, but like you said, once your moving, steering is pretty easy, even strongarm. It's just after a long day of riding rough trails that you are thankful. Your riding conditions sound ideal, hardly any surprise arm workouts along the way. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
One of these days I'll need to hop on one that has the power steering, I have always just used the armstrong method.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Power steering is an awsome feature.

Every time I drive a non EPS atv , I feel like there's somthing wrong with the steering.

When those non eps owners get off driving my EPS grizzly , they are always amayzed by this feature.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That polaris 1000 xp, the steering was so easy you could sit there on concrete and turn the handbars with your pinkies to full lock. Blew my mind after riding no power steering for like 400 hours🙀

It felt like too much assistance. The Kodiak Eps felt really nice though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts