Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding yesterday, I noticed a small grinding sound when 4wd was engaged. And to ride in 2wd i could not hear anything bad. Today i decided to check the diff (in fear of water in diff) and sure nuff....alot of water, so then figured out that my driver side axle input is leaking, and has a good bit of play (possibly more than 1/16 inch). And rode it a little in 2wd today just to hear that grinding sound just a little

So im about to order up a seal and replace it. Maybe🤔

Do you guys feel that the grinding sound indicates actual damage? Am I about to be in a bad situation? I really didnt check for metal flakes.

Do you feel that it is a common sound once the diff is full of the h2o, and oil and a seal just may be all that is needed? Whew

Thanks in advance for any response

·
Registered
530 Posts
If it were me I would drain it, flush it out and fill it with new gear oil all before putting new seal in to see if noise is gone. If it is then your probably ok, change the seal and ride it until you have anymore problems.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is probably the best angle to try first. Since all this Virus stuff, the dealerships are shut down, and shipping is taking quite a while,

I got some valvoline 75w 90 as jimP mentioned using, from the auto parts store. And i will give this a shot tomorrow.

I was a good 45 minutes down a gravel road and in some nasty nasty trail when I first noticed. I can only hope. parts are pretty dang pricey for this, and I have limited knowledge of the Front Differential.

I will give an update on this tomorrow

·
Registered
701 Posts
Are you certain the left seal is the leaky one? The left axle will always have a bit more play. Simply because of the 4wd design. I've measured 0.060 deflection with a dial indicator on two Yamaha Atv before realizing that's normal ..

Start with fresh fluid and go from there. keep an eye for major metalic deposits. So you hear a slight grinding in 4wd?

@oleblue22

This member is probably the best to help....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not quite a grind yet, more of a dull growl. I haven't seen any type of leaks(on my trailer with wood flooring, where it stays parked) so I feel it's quite recent.

I found the leak by blowing into the vent tube(hearing a wet air leak) and when I wiggle the axle, watery grey oil comes out the bottom Of the input to the Diff

I'll be getting over there in just a bit.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So. I got the old "dirt water oil" drained. And refilled with fresh oil.

I do not hear any sounds now. Making me very happy.
I rode it around for a bit and all seems well.

Except......

There are no signs of a leak(axle input nor anywhere else) and Ive checked the vent tube, not showing any signs of damage. Maybe the viscosity of the oil isnt allowing a leak. Until I get into water and it makes its way in.

I guess ill be getting the wheels off to investigate further very soon

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Pulling the axle if you decide to isn't for the faint of heart.

The whole A arm needs to come off to get it out of the front diff.

On the oil, I would run it for a while and then change it again just to be on the safe side.

With the water getting into the diff, there is a possibility that it was hot and the vent tube went under and then the diff sucked it in through the vent tube. You can always get a longer tube and route it up higher than it is now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I didn't have water over my hood. Which is where the tube goes.

Im pretty sure it is the seal. Since blowing on the top of the vent tube, caused fluid to leak from the axle input.Im just wondering why the new fluid is not leaking now🤔

Thanks for the direction guys.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Keep an eye on it. Keep driving, and maybe change your oil again in a few hundred mile or so. If the oil remains clean, your probably ok....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have ordered the seal, and this is currently where im at

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
If you want to see just where it is leaking get some liquid dish soap and in a cup mix up some soap and water. Then using a rag or paper towel spread the solution around the axle seal area and look for bubbles as you blow into the vent tube.

For the teardown 501parts.com has a good video of how to do it for their difflock installation

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Registered
701 Posts
Updates?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the waiting on a seal to come in the mail stage.

Ive filled the diff with fluid, rode around just a little to help clean out the dirt water, and refilled it...3 times. The fluid that is coming out doesnt look so dirty now, I'll most likely just wait till i replace the seal to learn more, maybe another week or so.

It doesnt leak while parked. But I can get some fluid leak with a little blow on the vent tube.

I appreciate the concern. :cool:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, the seal on the diff has been replaced, all seems well. No leaks, no bad sounds. I have been out riding 2 times now for extended periods of time.

All seems well, and I am back on the trails!

·
Registered
701 Posts
So, the seal on the diff has been replaced, all seems well. No leaks, no bad sounds. I have been out riding 2 times now for extended periods of time.

All seems well, and I am back on the trails!
Congrats on a successful repair!

Reactions: Jssrvlz

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts