Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it has been a while since I got this kit all installed and have been wanting to take it for a ride but just couldn't find the time until today. So I loaded up the Kodiak and headed for the hills.

I have the electric grabber kit and love it. It shifts into and out of 4x4 at the push of a button and it looks factory. Shifting is smooth and quite easy for the electric servo to slide the gears around to lock it into 4x4. With it just in the 4x4 position it is just like the cable system on the base model, up and down hills with zero problems. It has been drier here than popcorn farts so no big puddles to drive through but there is one pond but I didn't want to test it out in it since I have no idea of it's depth.

I locked it into the diff lock and up a hill I went. You can tell that both front tires are pulling and where there was a little bit of tire slippage while going up in just 4x4 there was none in 4x4 lock. Trying to turn with the diff locked was as expected, hard, but I muscled it through a few short turns but I wouldn't do it very much on a dry surface, it is just as easy to take it out of the diff lock position if you need to do much turning. Now if you are mud bogging you won't notice it as much since when in the mud you are going to have quite a bit of slippage that you won't have on a dry surface.

Overall I like it. The kit was easy to put in and with the electric option it gives it the factory look and with a little bit of practice you can shift it into and out of 4x4 without stopping without loosing too much speed. I can't wait to try it out when we get the snows this coming winter.

If you are thinking about buying one do it, you won't be disappointed

Registered
Good to hear everything is working as it should and your happy with the end results.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds great, and it is on my to buy list. It was easy to install? How long did the install take? any pics?
If you can turn a wrench you can install it. Air tools are nice to have but if you don't have them then you won't miss them but the tear down and install will take a little bit longer. I took my time since I had other things going on at the time, but over all I could of had it done in 4 or so hours.

As for pictures Steve has a great video on his site showing the tear down and installation, all but the electric switch if you go that way but then that is pretty much self explanatory.

Here is the write up that I did as I was doing the tear down and install.

https://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/...-who-has-installed-501-parts-grabber-kit.html

Registered
My dad purchased a holdover '17 Kodiak 700EPS yesterday. The lever-actuated 4x4 is the only semi-letdown on the bike. Does your electronic kit transform his lever-actuated EPS bike into a push-botton actuation, with locking diff capability? Based on the description on the website, I believe I have that right, but I'd like to make sure. If I have that correct, then we buy the $700 electric kit, and that's all we need, correct?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, if you get the electric kit it will convert the 4x4 and 4x4 lock over to the electrical switch. The only thing that you will loose is the 4x4 light on the dash. But if you pay attention to the button position you will know if you are in 4x4 or not.

Steve with 501Parts is aware of this and in the future he may come up with a solution to it. When I talked with him about it he thinks that one of the blocked off ports on the electrical connection to the 4x4 servo may be the solution but he hasn't researched it yet. All it needs to be is a ground that you can hook the stock plug up to to activate the light.

Registered
Thanks. He'll probably run with it as-is for a while, just to see if there's a difference (his Polaris was locked when 4wd was selected). Hopefully by the time he wants to order it, there will be a way to make the light active.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do miss the light coming on but really don't notice it that much. One way to tell if you are in 4x4 or not is to see if the locking lever for the diff lock will move over. If it is out of 4x4 it won't move, so that is one way to tell.

You also might watch the 501 web site and see when it goes on sale. I bought mine around the first of July when they were running the sale and got a rebuilt servo which is just as good as a brand new one, only cheaper. He does offer one with a lever that replaces the 4x4 lever on the handle bar and with that one the 4x4 light will light up, plus it is cheaper than the electronic one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts