Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done changing all oils in my Kodiak and thought that I would give a couple of tips on doing it.

The first is remove the skid plates. While it can be done with them on you are going to get a lot of oil all over them and the floor when you drain the fluids if you don't. It only takes a minute longer but clean up is a lot faster.

I got my final gear oil from the dealer. While it is a little pricey I decided that I would go with it. If you want any GL4 gear lube is approved. All of the GL oils are synthetic with the friction modifier in them for the wet brake in the rear. For the front end I used some Valvoline that I had for my truck. It is also GL-4 rated but the weight is 70w90. It would of been fine for the rear end also.

Remove the right side rear tire for easier access to the fill and check plug for the rear end. While you don't have to remove it, doing so makes access a lot easier. On the front end fill plug I managed to get into it with the tire on the machine and used a flex head socket to remove and reinstall the fill plug. It would of been a little bit easier with the tire off but I didn't pull that tire.

To fill both the front and rear ends I used a funnel with a tube attached to it. This is a very slow process as you add fluid to the funnel and wait for it to drain into the housings. Next year I will use a 200ml syringe with a tube attached. I picked up a 3 pack off of Amazon and they should last the life of my Kodiak. You will have to fill them a couple of times but I am betting that they will make life a lot simpler.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076NPHT53/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the engine oil fill I am sure that you all have noticed that there is no way to poor a quart bottle of oil into the fill/dipstick hole without removing the panel. I just used a funnel with a tube attached and had no problems filling it. This is a very poor design in that you would spill most of your oil on the ground if you should ever need to top it off while out riding and didn't have the proper tools. But then my 2000 Kodiak 400 was almost the same way and you needed a funnel to avoid spilling some but it could be done in a pinch.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a diff oil level question on a new 700.
On the rear diff there is two separate drain plugs under the diff, one lower side plug, and one fill plug near the top back of the unit.
I decided to open the lower side plug first expecting a dribble. The oil started coming out of the side at a good pace for well over a minute.
It seemed they either over filled the unit or the side plug isn't supposed to be used as a fill determining hole.
I drained the rest with one of the lower plugs (back one).
I need to know if the oil level should be at the lower side plug level or is it the top fill plug level?

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the lower plug. The maintenance instructions say that the lower plug on the bottom is to be used if you plan on draining all the fluid. Then on the refill to remove the small plug on the side and use the upper plug to fill until oil comes out of the plug on the side. Be aware that all of these plugs have copper washers on them and if I remember right a couple of them are different sizes.

I'll see if I can download the instructions and post them back here. The manual that I have is not computer friendly even if you do have to run it on a computer, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks...with so much coming out from the factory it got me wondering.
I didn't want to go out and burn it up when I had such a great resource of guys here.
On the copper washers I reused them, but with more planning next time I'll replace them.
I even went down to Harbor Freight and bought a tiny torque wrench for 10 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the instruction that came on my manual.

The Manual is from Tech SparkStudio that I got off of Ebay but I don't remember how much I paid but it is worth it if you plan on doing your own maintenance

Kodiak 700-1.jpg

Kodiak 700-2.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'll look into the manual.
I like how they provide the torque specs right there instead of making you reference the front of the chapter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts