Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a question, How many people have left the plastic skid plates on the lower A arms of their Kodiaks?

I have left mine on but the more I have noticed how much the mud, sticks and snow get packed in there and you have to take them off to clean them out. During the winter the Kodiak does not live in a fully heated garage and my arms are getting packed with snow and ice so I took the fronts off and have been thinking of taking the rear off as well to try to get to snow to fall out and a spot to melt. These Wisconsin winters are brutal cold, -20 this morning and that was with out wind chill. so any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I leave mine on, never really thought about taking them off in the winter, probably because mine is parked in a well insulated pole barn that seldom drops below freezing inside so everything generally gets melted off. In your situation it may be a good idea to take them off in the winter. There maybe after market ones that work better in the winter also.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have taken mine off but put them back on. They get full of snow, mud, sticks, and weeds but it is better with them on in my opinion. I live near LaCrosse, WI. It will be interesting to see what others think!

·
Super Moderator
1,888 Posts
Get yourself a canvas ATV cover. Then when you are done riding cover the ATV and the left over heat should melt a lot of that snow and ice. I know that when I am plowing snow and have a lot of snow build up and I cover my Kodiak the next day it is usually all melted off.

By the way, I would leave them on. Leaving them on are a lot better than having a stick through a rubber CV boot.

·
Registered
2019 Kodiak 700 EPS
69 Posts
I'm definitely going to remove them and make some stick stoppers that just shield the front and rear. It took me over two hours to clean the mud out of those and the skid plates which I had to remove to get all the mud, sticks and leaves out of there.

The are just too many mud traps that collect crap.

I've never had a boot torn with just the front and rear stick stoppers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts