Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started this thread a while back on the grizzly side documenting my observations between these two tire set ups....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the original post copy and pasted

I recently reinstalled my 11" wide Growlers on my bike after almost 600 miles of running 26x9 Growler front and rear threw the fall and winter months. The fronts remained the same 26x9 Growlers as always which have 3000 hard miles.

It's spring , and the trails have deep snow, slush, ice, mud, grass, rocks, water crossings, and we have lots of moderate to steep hills to climb. Overall a fun filled slimy time of year for quading!!!

Did a short 5 mile run in all the terrains described above....

I couldn't believe, how my bike struggle threw everything with my 11" wides . The bike was all over the place, handled terrible, difficult to steer and loss noticeable power with the larger rears. Had to be in 4wd the half the time to keep control and forward momentum.

After that ride I immediately switched back to my skinnies as soon as I got home and did the exact same trails for comparison. I was BLOWN AWAY by how superior the 9" tires performed. The bike gained noticeable power, steered and tracked much better, and did everything in 2wd minus two steep hills witch proved a bit much. Basically only needed 4 wd for about 200 feet with the skinnies versus almost 2 miles of 4wd use with the fatties.. WTF '!!!????

Went for 20 mile ride yesterday with my buddy who has 27" swamplites 9" fronts, 11" rears on his 700 Grizzly. We swapped bikes back and fourth multiple times. It was the same story. His bike struggles, was hard to control, and required 4wd frequently. He couldn't believe how much easier my bike steered, handled and drove threw everything in 2wd !!!

Long story short, I'm selling my 11" Growlers and will never run fat tires again.....

Attachments

Reactions: JKinPA

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
I think that wider tires are way over rated, even if it is just a couple of inches.

If you ever watch swamp buggies running through the mud and water you will notice that they all are running skinny tires. While fatter tires would allow you to ride on top of the mud it is a lot different when you get to snow that wont hold the weight and they bog down into it, then you have to have the power to push them through the snow to move the Kodiak. Skinny tires just cut through it and get down to where the traction is.

Wide tires also distribute the weight over a greater area which will cause you to just sit there and spin. If you have ever driven a dual wheel drive pickup on snow and ice you will know what I mean. Without a lot of extra weight in the bed of the truck you have a hard time getting to where you want to go. Where a standard pickup will run circles around you if you don't have that extra weight in the bed.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
100% agree

I'm so turned off of 11" wide tires after this experiment. I'll probably be selling my 26 x11" Growlers sometime this summer.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally did strip a part of the black paint off the rears and painted my fronts to match. Looks awesome!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
Looks good.

I do have a question for you on that box you have on the rear.

How is the seat cushon held in? Is it just velcro or is it in solid where it wouldn't blow out when you are transporting it? I've been looking for a box like that but no dealers near me have one and I like to get my hands on it before I buy one. Or at least know what I need to modify before I purchase it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The box is bolted on with U bolts. Very solid. The back seat pad was secure with three straps connected to the box. After 10 years ( I'm not the original owner) They have since all broke so I now use bungees.

·
Super Moderator
1,254 Posts
The ones that I have looked at on line say that the seats are held on just with velcro. I figured that I I got one I'd have to put some straps on it to keep it in place.

I'd just like to be able to design my own storage box for the back rack. Make it comfortable and useful at the same time without having to worry about stuff flying off of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts