Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently looking to purchase a 2017/2018 Kodiak 700, but am torn between whether to get the EPS or base model? I’ve had a base model and didn’t think it was too rough. But is the EPS worth the extra money? Also, what positives come with the SE model? Is it worth it for the SE and EPS? Trying to stay budget friendly but also want something long term that I will enjoy! I’m female 160lbs and had a pervious torn rotator cuff. I’ve heard the EPS makes it better on your arms and shoulders. Mostly going through mud/woods not as many rocks/ridged areas!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would go eps. It has all you would want including power steering. I wouldn't own an atv without power steering after owning this one.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
It really all depends on what you want.

The base model is just that a base. It has no digital dash, push button 4x4, locking diff, or power steering. The 4x4 is activated by a lever on the left handle bar. There are a couple of idiot lights for fuel and water temperature, but then none of the higher end ones have a water temperature gauge either.

I have the base model and have been in a couple of spots where the power steering would be quite nice. I picked up my base model used and the price was right but if I was buying a new one I might look a little bit harder at the EPS and SE models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the power steering really make a difference? Like is it noticable enough to realize it when you’re out riding? Just don’t wanna spend the money if it’s not worth it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does the EPS model have the digital dash then? Or just the SE? I’m headed to my dealership today, but just want to make sure I have all my details and questions answer before they try to push me on anything other than what I want.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
The EPS and SE will have the digital dash along with the third headlight on the bars.

I am not sure on the diff lock but the EPS and SE should have the push button 4x4

On the power steering, I have never rode one with it so I can't say. If the dealer is a good one they will let you ride around their lot a little on a couple of machines and you can then tell the difference by doing S turns at low speeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The only difference between a 2018 EPS and SE is body color and shock spring color. The power steering is really nice to have but not necessary.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The EPS model does NOT have push button 4X4, or the diff lock, that is only the SE model that offers these options. I have the EPS and haven't regretted my choice. I don't need the push button 4x4 and I haven't needed the diff lock so far, but I do enjoy the power steering and the digital dash. FWIW

·
Registered
82 Posts
Depends on what your priorities, needs and wants are . . .

If you're looking for a basic, decent ATV at a cheaper price point the base model should suffice.

For me I bought the Kodiak for a 70-30, maybe 60-40 work to play percentage split . . . in other words I plan to do more work than play with it. For this reason I went up to the EPS since a) I liked the third headlight as 8 times out of 10 when I'm plowing my driveway it's in the evening (not to mention I like the extra light while trail riding at night), b) I wanted the heavy duty two inch receiver hitch vs. ball hitch as I use my ATV (yard trailer, woods trailer, wood splitter, etc.), c) after having experienced EPS I really liked what it did on rough terrain in terms of smoothing things out . . .

The electronic gauge package was an "extra" for me . . . ditto for the aluminum wheels which came with the color and model I was looking at purchasing . . . but both of these were more of a "want" than a real "need". The gauge is nice as it gives me a bunch of info at a quick look and the wheels are . . . well . . . just fancy enough that I don't feel compelled to go out and buy after-market rims.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The SE's shocks have adjustable preload whereas the base models are fixed.
It has a speedo and fuel gauge as well.
If the extra cost doesn't blow your budget go for it.
The EPS works so well...I was riding slow on a rough paved road and turning those 25's left and right was very easy.
Yamaha is offering a free Warn winch so ask your dealer about that,and shop around on neighboring Craigslists as I've seen deals on new bikes in there.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Well, did something follow you home yesterday?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The EPS model does NOT have push button 4X4, or the diff lock, that is only the SE model that offers these options. I have the EPS and haven't regretted my choice. I don't need the push button 4x4 and I haven't needed the diff lock so far, but I do enjoy the power steering and the digital dash. FWIW
The 2018 EPS models do have push button and locking 4x4. I think the 2016 and 2017 EPS models do not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Camo EPS 700 yesterday and it certainly does have push button 4WD and Diff Lock, that was the main reason why I didnt want the base model because of the lever to engage the 4WD. Most of my use in the winter for ice fishing and I wouldnt want the lever/cable to freeze up

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Camo EPS 700 yesterday and it certainly does have push button 4WD and Diff Lock, that was the main reason why I didnt want the base model because of the lever to engage the 4WD. Most of my use in the winter for ice fishing and I wouldnt want the lever/cable to freeze up
Just as a FYI . . . the 2017 EPS model I purchased still had the lever/cable. I waffled a bit since I was use to Honda's push button 4WD lock which never gave me any issues.

That said, I've plowed all winter long in snow, sleet and freezing rain and have not had any issues with the cable.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
When it comes down to it both the cable and electric 4wd lock system works.

I had the electric one on my 2000 Kodiak and in all the years that I had it it never did fail. The only problem that I ever had with it was in a freezing rain where the button was coated with ice and I couldn't take it out of 4wd. The same thing could of happened with the cable system that year. But once it warmed up a little the ice melted and all was well again.

I would actually prefer the electric one. The way that it was positioned on my 2000 Kodiak I didn't have to move my hand very far to engage it if I got into a situation where I needed 4wd and really didn't want to stop. The cable and lever system you are going to have to slow down quite a bit while you take you hand off of the grip and engage it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Incorrect, with model year '18 the eps has both locking diff and push button 4WD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts