Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
what they really need is air moving over the exhaust as well as moving faster through the muffler.. Combustion engines have a hard time running at 200 degrees. If I cane ever get a lower temp thermostat I surly will. I’d love to lower the operating temp to 180... Meeting the emissions regs is tough for a combustion engine.. JMO
I don't agree.... In no way do modern engines have "a hard time" running 200 F.....

Heck my 50 year old 1971 Opel Gt's engine is designed to runs optimal at 195

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
I don't agree.... In no way do modern engines have "a hard time" running 200 F.....

Heck my 50 year old 1971 Opel Gt's engine is design to run at 185 to 200
Exactly.

They are designed to run best at around the 200 mark.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
I always thought that a typical range for internal combustion engines was somewhere between 180-210. The whole system revolves around oil/lubrication and it's highly sensitive to the engine temps. At lower temps oil viscosity would be higher and the engine would basically deal with increased friction, etc. So running 180 long-term may not be a good thing. Just my 2c
You are correct sir

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I always ran my hot rods at 165 with 185 being factory standard in those days. 200 is hard on metal alloys. They get better all the time and I'm old, so there ya go... Cheers

·
Registered
286 Posts
My dad used to have an old '61 Opel Kadett. It was a rusted out POS with a rubber band engine but he drove it for the MPG. I remember if we were passing someone (A miracle in itself with that engine) the people in the other car would always look over in disgust and then hit the gas to prevent the pass.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
emissions!! How much metallurgy experience do you guys have? You-all can have the last word here, but fact check the why and how of it all...

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
emissions!! How much metallurgy experience do you guys have? You-all can have the last word here, but fact check the why and how of it all...
Metallurgy experience? A fair bit actually considering that for the past 11.5 years I've been working in different sectors of the mining industry, from exploration right to the processing meal. In a note of the labs multiple times over the years actual Hands-On? No, not me, but my inquisitive brain tends to ask a lot of questions to the lab techs for the fact that I love to learn about this ****.

FYI the ideal operating temperature for modern engine is around 190 to 225 degrees, and this is possible thanks to.....as you mentioned..... metal alloys.
Alloys that are designed to withstand and dissipate heat generated from an internal combustion engine these alloys are also more corrosive resistant so we can use different coolants now that also help dissipate heat better that couldn't be used in the past because they were too corrosive to the metal.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts