Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I just read that header wrap may lean out the engine even more.So before anyone does anything they should get a fuel controller, then go from there.I plan on getting one from ehs as soon as I can. I have to buy a winch first, then the controller, then tires, then Im done modifications.(wink,wink)..

·
Registered
286 Posts
I like to stand up a lot when I ride and I'll pinch my knees in and hold on kind of like a motocross bike. The heat does get problematic sometimes and I have to open up my knees to let them cool off. I was planning on putting heat reflective tape on the inside of the panels but haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So I went to demo the 700 today, back to back with a King 500. Two different animals, not in the same league, even though I already own another 2020 King Quad. I can confirm that the rear fender has reflective tape from the factory. Not a lot of it, but in a few places.

Long story short, pulled the trigger.... Now a proud owner.

Will look into blocking the AIS (need a 1/2 inch vacuum seal?), add some more tape, and likely get a EHS tuner (unsure on this one)

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I have a question about the AIS system.What I think it does is take any unburned fuel from the engine and sends it back to the airbox is this correct?If that is what it does, won't disconnecting it make the engine run lean? Sorry guys im a slow learner..

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have a question about the AIS system.What I think it does is take any unburned fuel from the engine and sends it back to the airbox is this correct?If that is what it does, won't disconnecting it make the engine run lean? Sorry guys im a slow learner..
AIS stands for air injection system , it pulls air from the air box and is injected into the cat to burn off the emissions from the engine.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
To add to Rob's reply, blocking/deleting AIS would be an "exhaust mod" not an "engine mod". So the engine won't run lean or rich with or without it. Blocking it should stop (maybe minimize?) the "pop" sounds on deceleration and make the exhaust run somewhat cooler.

I've not heard anyone say that it would hurt anything.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Notfound is right, the exhaust gas needs the extra oxygen to be added to the cat so the unburnt fuel that’s left over from engine combustion cycle is burnt off . So with out it being added you’ll not have a combustion event in the catalyst to burn off the exhaust gas/ fumes. So basically the emissions from the engine will escape instead of being burnt by the cat.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just wanted to send a quick update after putting ~25 trail miles on my '21 700 the very next day after getting it. It was fairly cold that day, 30F in the morning and ~50F in the afternoon.

• Yes, it does get pretty hot (left fender, glove box, etc), but not scorching July sun hot.
  • On open roads it stays in the 170-180F range, on trails it's between 190 and 206F. The radiator fan is surprisingly quiet. I can only tell it kicks in by seeing temp drop, but can't really hear it.
  • I am still breaking it in so no to a full throttle riding but I don't baby it either... and so far the exhaust does NOT pop that often or too loud for that matter. Not sure what I am doing "wrong". I am also wondering whether I should still do the AIS delete.

Overall I am happy to report the heat "issue" isn't really a problem for me, at least not yet. I am pretty sure I am just gonna keep it stock this winter and will revisit this whole heat issue once it warms up outside a bit.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just wanted to send a quick update after putting ~25 trail miles on my '21 700 the very next day after getting it. It was fairly cold that day, 30F in the morning and ~50F in the afternoon.

• Yes, it does get pretty hot (left fender, glove box, etc), but not scorching July sun hot.
  • On open roads it stays in the 170-180F range, on trails it's between 190 and 206F. The radiator fan is surprisingly quiet. I can only tell it kicks in by seeing temp drop, but can't really hear it.
  • I am still breaking it in so no to a full throttle riding but I don't baby it either... and so far the exhaust does NOT pop that often or too loud for that matter. Not sure what I am doing "wrong". I am also wondering whether I should still do the AIS delete.

Overall I am happy to report the heat "issue" isn't really a problem for me, at least not yet. I am pretty sure I am just gonna keep it stock this winter and will revisit this whole heat issue once it warms up outside a bit.
Don't bother with the AIS, I and vast majority of 686 owners haven't....

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Don't bother with the AIS, I and vast majority of 686 owners haven't....
Thank you. I see you got the ehs tuner. Any particular reason why you got it? Did the heat bother you? Performance?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thank you. I see you got the ehs tuner. Any particular reason why you got it? Did the heat bother you? Performance?
I bought it cause everyone with 708 motors claimed noticeable power gains in the midrange power with the EHS tuners. This is also claimed by Eric at ehs racing & tuning . .....

So I jumped on the ban wagon assuming the 2019 686 would respond is a similar way.... In the case my 2019 I didn't observe any performance gains.

Though I have since gutted and modified my spark arrester / exhaust tip assembly and I do like the piece of mind that the tuner brings with such modifications.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I bought it cause everyone with 708 motors claimed noticeable power gains in the midrange power with the EHS tuners. This is also claimed by Eric at ehs racing & tuning . .....

So I jumped on the ban wagon assuming the 2019 686 would respond is a similar way.... In the case my 2019 I didn't observe any performance gains.

Though I have since gutted and modified my spark arrester / exhaust tip assembly and I do like the piece of mind that the tuner brings with such modifications.
Yeah, notice the title of this thread... I wanted to hear more from the 686 owners since most "heat issue" posts were 708 related. Did you notice your engine running any cooler after putting the tuner in?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yeah, notice the title of this thread... I wanted to hear more from the 686 owners since most "heat issue" posts were 708 related. Did you notice your engine running any cooler after putting the tuner in?
The left panel does seem to stay cooler then before.

My tuner is set to low as fare as adding fuel , green light @ 2, yellow @ 2, red @ 2

Reactions: NotFound

·
Registered
286 Posts
I usually run mine at 8000 feet above sea level so the lean setting is closer to being the correct mixture and I haven't had any popping issues.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine seems to have cooled down considerably. This may have been helped somewhat by installing the 2R tip on the exhaust at the same time...flowing more easily.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
hey guys... I’m installing the 2R tonight and the EHS unit is inbound.. I’M gonna do a tune up, fuse block, etc.. all together at the same time. I’ve thought about heat reflecting tape as well. Think I’ll hold off on the tape until I get everything installed an see if that changes the heat pattern.

I like to stand up a lot when I ride and I'll pinch my knees in and hold on kind of like a motocross bike. The heat does get problematic sometimes and I have to open up my knees to let them cool off. I was planning on putting heat reflective tape on the inside of the panels but haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Deleted.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hey guys... I’m installing the 2R tonight and the EHS unit is inbound.. I’M gonna do a tune up, fuse block, etc.. all together at the same time. I’ve thought about heat reflecting tape as well. Think I’ll hold off on the tape until I get everything installed an see if that changes the heat pattern.
If your quad is clean you might as well add the tape too. I regret not applying it the day I got it, when the fender was sparkling clean 😁

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
what they really need is air moving over the exhaust as well as moving faster through the muffler.. Combustion engines have a hard time running at 200 degrees. If I cane ever get a lower temp thermostat I surly will. I’d love to lower the operating temp to 180... Meeting the emissions regs is tough for a combustion engine.. JMO

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
what they really need is air moving over the exhaust as well as moving faster through the muffler.. Combustion engines have a hard time running at 200 degrees. If I cane ever get a lower temp thermostat I surly will. I’d love to lower the operating temp to 180... Meeting the emissions regs is tough for a combustion engine.. JMO
I always thought that a typical range for internal combustion engines was somewhere between 180-210. The whole system revolves around oil/lubrication and it's highly sensitive to the engine temps. At lower temps oil viscosity would be higher and the engine would basically deal with increased friction, etc. So running 180 long-term may not be a good thing. Just my 2c

21 - 40 of 47 Posts