Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
686cc engines and engine heat.. how bad is it guys? Like "you can't ride in shorts" hot? Many people report glove compartment being super hot or left leg being uncomfortable from the heat (especially at low speeds). It's quite difficult to tell whether it was only an issue with the old 708 or applies to the new 686 engine too.

Scheduled to pick up a 2021 700 eps from the dealer this weekend. I don't do mud, just trails...I want to be able to take my daughter with me for quick rides and it would stink to find out later on that the quad feels like you're sitting on a stove. I had my eyes on a 750 king (currently own a 400 king -- air cooled) but Kodi seemed like a better platform overall. I don't plan on modding it much and frankly don't want to deal with heat issues from day one.

If you own the new 686, I would appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I own a new 21 and Im absolutely in love with my machine.I have read about excessive heat but I really haven't noticed it.I dont ride technical rocky trails just cruising the back roads.The 700 is a real nice atv, I cant believe I was a nothing but a Honda guy..

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a new 21 and Im absolutely in love with my machine.I have read about excessive heat but I really haven't noticed it.I dont ride technical rocky trails just cruising the back roads.The 700 is a real nice atv, I cant believe I was a nothing but a Honda guy..
Thank you, I won't be doing super technical stuff either, just some cruising with my kids. Hopefully it was all the 708 engine.

·
Super Moderator
1,371 Posts
If it has the same exhaust design as the 700 does then it may still have the excessive head problem that the 700 has. I have noticed it with quite a bit of heat coming off of the exhaust and only my left leg when I have been riding in the summer. I also noticed along with a rider at how hot the left rear fender gets right where your rider would have their left leg. It got so hot once that my rider asked for me to stop so that he would get a log to place it onto the fender so that he could rest his leg on it instead of the fender.

Since then I have placed some reflective heat tape onto the under side of the fender right above the muffler/catilist to reflect some of the head back downwards. It worked fairly well since I haven't gotten any complaints of how hot the fender gets.

Some have placed tuners onto the ECU to get rid of the lean gas/air mixture and they say that helps quite a bit.

Reactions: NotFound

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
123 Posts
My 19 SE has that tape in place from the factory. I have not noticed it being all that excessive. It’s warm, but exhaust is. Now
underneath the machine is pretty hot. The muffler acts like a cat I believe, so it’s gonna be hot. If you are riding 2-up, probably want some stirrups to keep legs off the plastic directly, but I don’t think it would burn if you have the tape.

·
Super Moderator
1,371 Posts
There was a small piece of tape right above the muffler/cat on mine.

I figured that if a little was good then a bigger piece would be better, especially where a rider would place their leg..

Reactions: Madmax

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely check if the tape is there when I pick it up... and I agree adding more can't hurt. I am assuming it's some real sticky tape that won't come off if i decide to rinse it after riding.

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since then I have placed some reflective heat tape onto the under side of the fender right above the muffler/catilist to reflect some of the head back downwards. It worked fairly well since I haven't gotten any complaints of how hot the fender gets.
Did you have to take off the exhaust to apply it?

·
Super Moderator
1,371 Posts
I just cleaned the underside real clean and let it dry. The tape came with the protective backing that you peeled off. There is plenty of room to place it above the exhaust without removing anything

If I remember it was a 18"x18" piece that I got on Amazon.

I've had it on for 2 or 3 years now and it's still on

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: rancherMike

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
123 Posts
Just a thought on “heat” - a lot of owners complain about the engine running hot, mostly because the fan comes on a lot more than ATV owners expect. There is some real evidence that it runs a little lean. But it’s designed to cycle the fan. It isn’t really a problem or bad design. Watching temp on the gauge, it holds a 10 deg band. I’m a long ways from adding the fuel programmer over it. But it seems the 708 owners benefit a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
1,371 Posts
The idea behind the fuel programmer is to cool down the exhaust.

The coolant temperature will remain the same as far as where it runs and the fan come on, so the same 10 degree or so swing. To change that you would need to go to a cooler thermostat and I have no idea if there is one that you could go to. But the fans are controlled by a thermostat so they would function the same as they do now

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Kodiak 700 EPS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a thought on “heat” - a lot of owners complain about the engine running hot, mostly because the fan comes on a lot more than ATV owners expect. There is some real evidence that it runs a little lean. But it’s designed to cycle the fan. It isn’t really a problem or bad design. Watching temp on the gauge, it holds a 10 deg band. I’m a long ways from adding the fuel programmer over it. But it seems the 708 owners benefit a lot more.
I agree with you to some extent but I don't think these are baseless claims..."because the fan comes on a lot more than ATV owners expect." Something is not right. If this was an non-issue it wouldn't have come up so frequently here and on other boards. I do think it's a topic worth discussing...

My Suzuki KQ 400 is an air-cooled quad. I ran it all summer and at times the fan was on pretty much non-stop. But it doesn't run hot. I can ride it in shorts and flip flops to the nearby creek; my 11 y/o can ride it around the yard; we ride it 2-up for hours, etc. It never feels uncomfortable, unless you accidentally touch the engine, of course. If you google, you won't see topics on Kings with excessive engine heat. Of course google Cans and you will find plenty.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with you to some extent but I don't think these are baseless claims..."because the fan comes on a lot more than ATV owners expect." Something is not right. If this was an non-issue it wouldn't have come up so frequently here and on other boards. I do think it's a topic worth discussing...

My Suzuki KQ 400 is an air-cooled quad. I ran it all summer and at times the fan was on pretty much non-stop. But it doesn't run hot. I can ride it in shorts and flip flops to the nearby creek; my 11 y/o can ride it around the yard; we ride it 2-up for hours, etc. It never feels uncomfortable, unless you accidentally touch the engine, of course. If you google, you won't see topics on Kings with excessive engine heat. Of course google Cans and you will find plenty.
We have a 01-400 & 04-450 kodiaks, the smaller cc quads do naturally run cooler, less cc’s produce less heat . We mud a lot and have never had the temp light come on on the smaller kodiaks even with the rads packed half full of mud . But our 708’s I ended up moving the rads to the front rack’s to keep them from getting plugged and throwing a temp light . Plus the smaller older quads do not have a catalyst in the exhaust trying to burn off emissions. The newer produced quads are having to meet these emissions requirements so leaning the A/F ratio out will meet emissions but the exhaust will run warmer.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Has anyone tried header wrap.I ask because when I took off the inner fender on the left side the headpipe is right there,wide open. Header wrap is cheap,seems like it would be real easy to do. I have read that it rots the pipe from rust.Thats really the only negative thing I have read. If nobody has tried it, heck ill try it. If anyone has heard comments good or bad about header wrap please inform me..
Thanks..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Has anyone tried header wrap.I ask because when I took off the inner fender on the left side the headpipe is right there,wide open. Header wrap is cheap,seems like it would be real easy to do. I have read that it rots the pipe from rust.Thats really the only negative thing I have read. If nobody has tried it, heck ill try it. If anyone has heard comments good or bad about header wrap please inform me..
Thanks..
It works well , we have used it on our headers in our drag cars back in my younger days. Reduced under hood temps by a lot . If you stay out of the mud and deep water it shouldn’t increase the rate of rust by much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with you - I was chalking the engine heat up to the slight lean condition. Since I haven’t had any over-heat problems, it seem to run within its parameters fine. You have probably read into this also... it sounds like the fuel programmer makes a difference. Generically, more raw fuel works to reduce internal temps in the combustion chamber, and apparently in the cat too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
They do get hot on hot summer days with shorts (2019 grizzly 686). Though so did my 2009 grizzly 558.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts