Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there has put a 4WD servo onto their base Kodiak and got rid of the handle lever.

I looked at it on line and they run around $245 for just the servo and you would need the switch also. I have also thought about seeing if I could get a 12 volt actuator and fabing up a bracket to get it to work. You can find actuators for $50 and up.

Right now I am just throwing out the idea. I loved the push button on my 2000 Kodiak, I could run it in 2WD and then just hit the button if 4WD was needed without even slowing down. This new lever system you will almost have to come to a stop and take your left hand off of the handle bar to switch it.

Registered
I switch mine into 4WD all the time without stopping. I just flick the lever, and it goes right in. Of course I'm off the throttle and am sure the back wheels aren't spinning faster than the front when I do this

Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone out there has put a 4WD servo onto their base Kodiak and got rid of the handle lever.

I looked at it on line and they run around $245 for just the servo and you would need the switch also. I have also thought about seeing if I could get a 12 volt actuator and fabing up a bracket to get it to work. You can find actuators for $50 and up.

Right now I am just throwing out the idea. I loved the push button on my 2000 Kodiak, I could run it in 2WD and then just hit the button if 4WD was needed without even slowing down. This new lever system you will almost have to come to a stop and take your left hand off of the handle bar to switch it.
We have tried and there is more to it than just the switch and the servo. The push button system is comprised of three relays, the switch, the servo and the CDI. The CDI tells how long to give power to the relays to in turn power the servo. If you just put the switch on, you'd be giving the servo constant power which won't work. You have to give it power just long enough to put the slide gear inside the diff in the perfect position. Another member on here got his to work with a toggle switch but ended up removing it because it was too much of a hassle to get to work properly.

When designing a diff lock kit for the Kodiak, we tested and fabbed up the wiring but it was too pricy and too much electrical wiring involved for it to be feasible. Most folks don't want to hack wiring on a machine that's under warranty and less than a year old. We instead came up with the Grabber diff lock kit. It's a manually operated lever but allows you to have diff lock You'd remove the factory lever and install our lever and locking ring gear inside the diff. You can see the info on it here.

http://www.kodiakowners.com/forum/5...-model-grabber-diff-lock-kit-information.html

You can go from 2 to 4wd on the fly without stopping. That's no problem, you will have to slow down to a dead crawl or complete stop to engage diff lock. It's just easier on your parts that way.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While that isn't the answer that I wanted to hear it is good to know what is needed to do it.

On the Grabber kit that handle would get in the way of too many other things on my Kodiak and if I do decide to go with a locker I would go with a electric one.

Premium Member

Registered
after dealing with the servo and trying to have electric diff lock, it didnt work out. the grabber kit is the answer if you want reliable diff lock. save yourself the grief because the servo will jam up unless you have the integrated cdi for it to work correctly and stop at the right point. after it jams you got to drain the diff and start over and it will jam again. if you gotta have electric then you better sell the one you got and ge a se with diff lock and power steering too i'd ad. diff lock is a beast. but when mudding or climbing it's what you got to have or you're not going to get there. my two cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts