Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the 450 EPS and 700 EPS. As much as I'd like the extra power of the 700, I don't particularly need it so the deciding factor is likely going to be fit. I'm 6'7", 320lb. Is there any ergonomic difference between the two?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Never had a 450, but I have had two 700s and I would go with one without any question. Good luck!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Never had a 450, but I have had two 700s and I would go with one without any question. Good luck!
I need to make that more clear, I would go with the 700 Yamaha and not even consider anything else.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
I'm not sure on the 450 but on the 700 you can swap parts such as the handle bars and seats to the 700. I am 6'5 and 240 and changed out the handle bars on my 700 and am debating on the seat. I do a lot of riding but a lot of that time I am standing up and that is one place that the Grizzly bars are better, I believe that I got 1 1/2" extra height out of them without having to lengthen any of the control cables. From what I have read from those who have done it the Grizzly seat sits about a inch higher and has more foam in it than the Kodiak's seat.

If I was you I would try each of them out at the dealer if you can and see which one feels better. Some dealers even have small riding areas that you can go around on to check out the feel of it

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I wouldn't even consider a 450 in your case...
700 all the way

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the 450 EPS and 700 EPS. As much as I'd like the extra power of the 700, I don't particularly need it so the deciding factor is likely going to be fit. I'm 6'7", 320lb. Is there any ergonomic difference between the two?
I would definitely go with the 700 I have 2020 450 eps se and with me 5’8” 160 and my son who might way 70 to 80 pounds plus maybe 10 to 30 Ibs of hunting gear so around 250 to 280 all together and it makes the steering and cornering absolutely horrible, if I had different tires it would prolly help a little but even with the upgraded stock they are soft as crap and it’s terrible with over 220! wish I would of done more research before hand bc for what I freakin paid for my 450 witch I did get bambooseled at Christmas time last yr on a last min day before decision, It was 7500 bran new I put 3000 down they told me I couldn’t get approved for the 7500 but they made it work with 6000 and somehow still come out paying on a 9000 dollar loan Wtf I still ant figured there calculator out lol I raised hell but could t do anything after signing them papers SO if it seems to easy and to quick better read the papers learn my lesson the hard way thanks to CYCLE MAX of Wilson NC!! Anyways you can get the 700 now for only about 1000 more depending on dealer than the 450 witch is definitely worth it from everything I have seen and heard Just my opinion though brotha!

·
Registered
523 Posts
So I’m 6-3 280 and I own both 450’s and 700’s . The 450 is a very capable little machine , The one thing that impressed me the most was when I pulled a 2wd Tahoe out of a ditch he backed both tires down in. Dropped it in low and preceded to pull him right out. I’ve done a lot of mudding and work with our little 450’s and have zero complaints . My adult boys ride them now and they are not little and they are still going strong . Wife and I moved up to the 700’s and I will say for the price difference between the 450 and 700 one is better of getting the 700, more bang for the buck.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm 6-2 230lb and have a 450. Its a comfortable ride for myself and my fiance on the back whos 5-9 and (shhhhh) 140ish. The ride is fine. Nowhere near as awful as post #6 describes.

With nearly 400lbs of myself, the fiance, gear/snacks/drinks AND a wheel/tire setup that must weigh... 175 pounds.. its 26hp gets us along just fine through whatever we come across. We DO have to use low gear more than we would if I had bought a 700.. on real steep hills and deeper mud.. but thats a first world problem I'm not going to complain about lol.

That being said, you ARE a big m.f lol. Weight-wise the 450 would cart you around fine, but the ergonomics of the smaller machine may be a little off for a dude of your stature. As previously mentioned you'd probably want to swap to grizzly bars which are about 2" taller and further forward than the kodiak bars, and consider a grizz seat swap.

I'm going to go to grizzly bars here myself soon. I like the feel of the lower kodiak seat, we ride pretty spirited.. so the lower center of gravity is nice.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
My coworker has an 08 450 kodiak. He's about 6'4" access prob about 280 lbs, he has no isse in the 450, fits nicely, no prob with hills or anything. Obviously i can dust him on the 700, but just regular trail riding, the 450 is fine for him.
Not that much of a size difference really...

Just my stealthy tactical black looks so much nicer.... Lol

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
I should also add to this, think about it, before the big bikes were out, what did most people ride? Yup.. A 350 or a 450 honda with less than 25hp and smaller in size than the 450 kodiak. Nobody really had a problem back then.

As for swapping out the bars and seat on the 700, you can, personally i don't like the ergonomics of the bars, and find the kodiak seat shape more comfortable.

But adding the grizzly seat negates the height advantage you would gain by adding the grizzly bars. The extra seat thickness is slightly less than the added bar height. Lol

I don't think you would have an issue with the 450, but for the price differance, and the extra power.... Can't go wrong with the 700.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
You will be happy with either one.jmo,I never asked for LESS power..

·
Registered
63 Posts
You need a 700 get a utility one

·
Registered
420 Posts
I own both 700 and 450 Kodiak in 2020 base models. Sold the Sportsman 450. Love both and would not give up the 450.. better for the daughter and grandson. Does everything I have asked of it and the tow ratings are equal. Climbs great and the gentler throttle and lower center of gravity are confidence inspiring. HOWEVER if it is a choice of 1.. the 700 without a doubt.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ergonomics are very similar I would possibly say the 700 is a slight bit better. The 450 definitely has more room for feet. Larger floor board space

1 - 17 of 17 Posts