Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some input here. Just starting the search to find the right machine for my girlfriend. I currently have a '16 Kodiak 700 EPS and love it. She's been using my old '03 Honda Rancher 350. We have decided that we should upgrade and get her a new machine next year. We love trail riding - the twistier and curvier the better. Also do some riding in private woodland where there are no trails - just go through the woods and find your own way.

Looking at the specs between the two, the 450 is nearly identical in width, length, and height. Really nothing seems to be more than an inch smaller than the 700. Only 30 pounds lighter too. Substantially less power though, and also loses an inch of ground clearance. It's also 2 grand cheaper, which is a nice plus though.

She is about 5'2". I don't know if the weight is relevant, but yeah..... I value my genitalia so I'm not even going to venture a guess on that one. She would like to have a machine that she can sit on comfortably and make it through the twisty trails. Definitely going to have the EPS feature.

It really would be nice to save 2 grand. However, no one ever complains about having too much power. Losing the inch of ground clearance is also a concern.

I know we are going to want to have her sit on each one and get a feel for it. For those who have ridden both, what are your thoughts on the pros/cons of each?

Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
When I was looking for a Kodiak I would of settled and actually preferred a 450 over the 700. For most of the riding that I do a 450 would have all the power that I would ever need. My old Kodiak was a 400 and even with it I never felt that I needed more power, it took me everywhere I wanted and a couple of places that I questioned myself on why I was there.

But after having a 700 I came to the conclusion that it is nice to have that extra power if I ever need it.

On the 450 I have never seen anything on fuel mileage. It has to be better than the 700 but by how much?

I don't know if your dealer has a riding area or not or if it is just a parking lot but you could have her ride around the parking lot on the 450 and see what she thinks of it. Since she has already rode your 700 she should be able to come up with some sort of comparison on which one that she likes best.

Registered
So my wife is 5鈥4鈥 and loves her 700 . She had never ridden a quad so I started her on a 220 bayou then a 04 -450 kodiak to get her feet wet. Zero complaints about the 450 , great quad .But the 700鈥檚 power is nice , I cant tell you how many times she鈥檚 sat on her 700 kodiak and smiled at me and said I love my wheeler . So has she driven yours ? Trade up for a day and see what she thinks .

Registered
I agree with all that has been said here, and just want to mention that to be sure to get power steering, it is so nice.
X2 on the Power steering is a must

Reactions: Esva and JD864

Registered
2018 kodiak 700 se
700 with ps is my choice after owning a 450 .

Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27鈥 Reptiles, 1鈥 wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
I鈥檓 gonna get you in trouble, but鈥.
Treat yourself to a Grizzly, and give her your Kodiak.
I would also vote 700 after checking them out. But I love power, and did weights and spring to my Kodiak to make it fun. The 450 felt like a dog at the dealership.

Super Moderator
I鈥檓 gonna get you in trouble, but鈥.
Treat yourself to a Grizzly, and give her your Kodiak.
I would also vote 700 after checking them out. But I love power, and did weights and spring to my Kodiak to make it fun. The 450 felt like a dog at the dealership.
He could be in the same boat as me, going to a grizzly would be a downgrade. Lol I could have got either one but hated the ergonomics of the grizz.

Super Moderator
I would say the 450 is prob plenty for her if just trail riding, my buddy has no prob staying with me on his old 08 450 Kodiak when in the woods. Nice little bike. But I'll say got the few extra bux, get the 700eps, she's already on a small bike, if you really want to save money, stay on the Honda. Going to the 450 Kodiak isn't really a huge upgrade for your money like a 700 would be. As you said, size of the new 460 vs the 700 isn't much difference either. It's almost a no brainer, go 700.
Buy once cry once...... Those money years will soon be replaced with tears of joy... And watery eyes from the wind... Lol

Reactions: Madmax and Coder

Registered
I am going to be that guy - check out the 450. I wanted a smaller, super maneuverable machine for trail riding, and the 450 is perfect for that. I have owned much larger machines, taught ATV riding, and been on quads since the late 80s and found the Kodiak is a great trail machine. No, it is not the fastest, and no it is not the biggest or baddest but with a skilled rider it will take you anywhere a 700 will go and the money you save will buy a winch and some nice riding gear!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
X2 on the Power steering is a must
That point was driven home when we spent 2 full days riding Nemadji. She was riding an 03 Honda Rancher 350 - no power steering. By 5, she asked if we can call it for the day because her arms were just dead numb. I'm sure that had everything to do with having to actively counteract every single bump or irregularity in the trail. The dampening effect of the EPS will make a world of difference!

Super Moderator
That point was driven home when we spent 2 full days riding Nemadji. She was riding an 03 Honda Rancher 350 - no power steering. By 5, she asked if we can call it for the day because her arms were just dead numb. I'm sure that had everything to do with having to actively counteract every single bump or irregularity in the trail. The dampening effect of the EPS will make a world of difference!
Yes exactly. There power steering on an ATV isn't really about making it easier to steer, it's more to take the majority of impact force away from your arms. Still feel a few hard ones but it counters most rocks and roots on an all day ride. It's a huge difference on your muscles after a day or 2 of riding.

Reactions: Sirdouglasb12
1 - 14 of 14 Posts