Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The foot brake won't release the small knob inside my shift box to allow the shifter to move. The brake cable is connected but not really tight. Should I change the cable? I've read that some people just cut it and use the quad without the foot brake. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
Make sure that there isn't anything under the foot pedal that is limiting it's travel to release the interlock on the shiftier.

If that is clear the cable may need to be adjusted, but I have no idea if it even has a adjuster on it. Something may also be bent where it won't allow the cable to unlock it. On my old 2000 Kodiak the owners manual said that you should be able to pull up on the cable to release the lock so that you could shift it.

If you cut the cable how are you going to shift it? There is a tab that you can cut off up on the shiftier where you will no longer have to have the foot brake depressed. You will have to pull the plastics off and look at the operation of it to see what needs to be trimmed off if you want to go this route.

Reactions: Madmax and Jssrvlz

Registered
I assume it is a safety to keep people from shifting on accident. My 2018 700 Does not have this mechanism, somewhere between 2016 and 2018 they stopped doing that. I wonder if anyone with 2018s have that mechanism

Super Moderator
I assume it is a safety to keep people from shifting on accident. My 2018 700 Does not have this mechanism, somewhere between 2016 and 2018 they stopped doing that. I wonder if anyone with 2018s have that mechanism
Did you purchase yours new or used? I believe that all of them have the interlock mechanism on them. Some owners have removed the locking tab allowing them to shift without depressing the brake pedal.

Registered
Did you purchase yours new or used? I believe that all of them have the interlock mechanism on them. Some owners have removed the locking tab allowing them to shift without depressing the brake pedal.
Brand new. My friends 16 was having issues shifting because of mud and what not, so I looked at mine and its not even there. I had previously thought it was strange when I would ride his, I had to hit the brake to shift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts