Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here and I'm looking to buy a new Kodiak in the next couple weeks. I used to have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 and I never had any problems with it, but I was able to get a good price for it and now I want my first NEW machine. I've decided on the Kodiak. My dad bought a 450 new back in like 2006 or 08 and it just now has 100 hours on it. It's been a fantastic machine and I've always been fond of Yamaha and Honda. I can't find anything in Honda with an independent rear suspension in my budget though. I've got $7000 MAX to spend.

I'm 36 years old and I take meticulous care of my stuff. My ATV will never see any hard use, it will never see any mud. I like to cruise around on the local gravel roads, I have a hunting property that I putt around the trails on, I check trail cameras, I haul corn and mineral to my deer feeders, I drag deer out of the woods, and that's really about it. I really can't see the need for EPS (even though I know it's a really nice feature). I just don't spend enough hours a year on an ATV and I'm still relatively young. I've never had it before and I've never had a time when I really wished I did have it. I like a nice, smooth, quiet, reliable machine that will last me a long time.

Which leads me to my decision between either the base 450 or the base 700. I'd be open any advice people have on which would work best for me. I guess I'm about average size. 6'1" and 220lbs. I sometimes ride double with my wife, but only for short distances.

The best pricing I've found is $5850 for the base 450 and $6750 for the base 700 and those are OTD prices. Would be able to do any better if I expanded my dealer search? Thanks and look forward to hearing from everyone!

·
Registered
613 Posts
My vote is 700 Kodiak with EPS. I'm aware that's a tad out of budget but isn't a superior machine that will offer superior resale value for your potential future upgrades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vote is 700 Kodiak with EPS. I'm aware that's a tad out of budget but isn't a superior machine that will off fare better resale value for you next upgrade.
I don't plan on reselling this machine. I kept the Sportsman 500 for 20 years. At that age, there's little to no difference in resale when you're talking 20 year old machines. Can't go outside the budget, just not an option.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Then I'd go used. Way more awesome options on a limited budget... Heck I just picked up 2019 Grizzly LE with 800 miles for 6K $Off( Canadian currency ) dealership prices.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I'd go used. Way more awesome options on a limited budget... Heck I just picked up 2019 Grizzly LE for 6K $ off dealership prices.
I've never been able to find anyone who takes care of their machines the way I would expect. Like I said, I'm extremely meticulous with my stuff. Doubt I'll ever find anything used that meets my expectations.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm like you, I don't buy $hit, but everything I buy is used cause I can pick it up for 1/2 price AND it always looks near new. just trying to keep your options open bud

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
I'd go with the 700 just because of the engine.

Even with the base model you can add to it as your budget dictates. You can get a diff lock kit for it if you want. I have the base and wanted a meter set up so I went aftermarket for a digital speedometer, odometer, trip meter, coolant temperature gauge, volt meter, and a number of other things. The base doesn't come with CV boot guards but there are aftermarket ones and the ones from the higher end Kodiaks are a direct bolt on. You may also want to upgrade the trailer hitch to a receiver type and that is also just a bolt on from a Kodiak that has one.

Good luck on your decision

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vincent

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'll add a final note, EPS is a must. Not a luxury....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd go with the 700 just because of the engine.

Even with the base model you can add to it as your budget dictates. You can get a diff lock kit for it if you want. I have the base and wanted a meter set up so I went aftermarket for a digital speedometer, odometer, trip meter, coolant temperature gauge, volt meter, and a number of other things. The base doesn't come with CV boot guards but there are aftermarket ones and the ones from the higher end Kodiaks are a direct bolt on. You may also want to upgrade the trailer hitch to a receiver type and that is also just a bolt on from a Kodiak that has one.

Good luck on your decision

Those are some things i didn’t know. I guess I assumed the base 700 was the same as the 450. I don’t think I care about diff lock. I’ve only used the 4WD on my Polaris a handful of times in 20 years. A speedo and hour meter would be really nice to have though. How do they expect you to know your service intervals if they don’t give you an hour meter or odo? CV boot guards are a must for me. Riding trails there are times when I drive over limbs and I wouldn’t want a stray stick to puncture my boot. I’ll probably ambivalent to the receiver hitch. As long as I can mount a 2” ball somewhere, I’d be happy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For what your going to do with it the 450 is plenty, heck I had a little 98 Suzuki 230 quad runner that that’s all I did with it is move tree stands, check cameras and haul deer out of the woods,I never trail rode it. Before I bought our 700’s I rode a 01-400 and my wife rode a 04 -450 and we rode and worked them a ton (still have em my boys ride them now) and they did every thing I needed. I still ride the 400 when working on the lease sometimes , but I will say power steering is awesome.
I’m like you I tend to get what I like and I hold onto it for a long time. So just something to think about is your 36 now so in 10-15 yrs when your in your late 40’s early 50’s you’ll look back and think I sure am glad I got the power steering (It truly is great ).
Now having said that if you want the best bang for your buck then a 700 for only around $1000 more than the 450 is kinda a no brainer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also think the first side by side I bought was a Rhino 450. It was great until all my friends started getting side by sides and pretty soon I was wishing I would have bought the 660 instead.

·
Registered
491 Posts
For what you are going to use it for either machine will suit you fine. The 700 will be all the power you ever need, the 450 may give you an occasion where you want more, but have you considered a 450 with EPS? Like the SE? It would still be in your budget with all the bells and whistles.

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
1,123 Posts
They called the 700 base model because it is just that, the basic machine, no bells or whistles.

As for keeping track of hours I guess that they figure that is why their customers wear watches, but a basic hour meter would of been nice.

If the 450 would of been out when I was looking I quite likely would of bought it instead of the 700.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For your use I'd say the 450 is plenty, but for 900$ more the 700 is a no brainer. I'm somewhat surprised you can find a Rancher IRS for under 7k, the non-powersteering ones are mid 6k around me, right between the Kodiak 450 and 700 range here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts