Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New owner here. I'm looking for recommendations on a plow for my new atv. I live in the upper Midwest, lots of snow but I actually only used my snow blower a few times last winter. Most of the snowfall was in the 3" inch range most of the winter. Could be the complete opposite this winter. Anyways, what size and what brand are the best? I've been reading the 54-60" range is best. I would prefer something easy to install/uninstall in the spring/fall. I've also heard to try and avoid purchasing and having the dealer install. Any recommendations on this? I'm hoping to have someone install it who knows what they're doing and learn something from them but I also need to bring it in soon for servicing as it's not fully broken in yet. Any information or resources I can look at would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing here. Check out Plow and the hybrid plow system. Haven't used mine yet but being retired, it's easy to set up. The permanent mounted plate mid frame means the plow thrust goes there vs. the front end. Slide the plow frame under, two pins, connect the winch, and you are good to go. Storage is simple as putting the blade face down has the frame vertical.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 base model
2,247 Posts
I have the Warn ProVantage plow with the front mount and love it.

My previous ATV had the mid mount and after having a front mount I'll never go back to the mid mount.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the Iron Baltic front mount plow and love how easy it is to put on and the fact I lose zero ground clearance. The front plow mount also acts as the winch mount for the machine. The plow is VERY well made - it is not the cheapest by any means, but worth the extra cost for a well-made piece of equipment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I were to get a provantage plow setup, do I need a warn winch and winch mounting plate? I've got a kfi winch mount and runva winch at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
If I were to get a provantage plow setup, do I need a warn winch and winch mounting plate? I've got a kfi winch mount and runva winch at the moment.
I don't believe so but to know for sure you would need to compare the two mounts. I think at the very least you might need to drill some holes in the winch or plow mount.

·
Registered
368 Posts
After looking at a few plows and their mounting systems I went with the Warn ProVantage plow with the front mount too. It's not the cheapest, but it's well built.
The blade comes off for fun rides in about a minute.
The mount stays on year round and is mounted nice and high.
I route the winch cable down to the plow pulley and back up to a strap mounted on my front bumper which slows down the drop and lift. I went with the 60" blade and find it just wide enough when turned sideways. At times I get heavy wet deep snow (up to 10" overnight) and it deals with it quite well.

·
Super Moderator
2,247 Posts
Primethious

Did you get the optional front mount pulley that mounts right behind the blade? I did and if you are using the steel cable winch line it should extend the life of the cable over the stock setup

·
Registered
368 Posts
I got the pulley kit too. It's small and works for both cable and rope....sorta
I used it with cable first with no issues, but I replaced the cable with a rope kit from Harbor Freight.
The pulley and the metal plates that support it are rough on ropes, but the rope kit is very affordable so after a couple years I plan on spooling a new one on. If a rope brreaks mid winter I'd just spool more rope out and tie the end to the front bumper.
I plan on replacing the 1" nylon strap I have on the front bumper with a tight fitting soft shackle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts