Yamaha Kodiak 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going with a friend to buy a 2021 Kodiak 700 SE. It is 3 months old and has 6.5 hrs on it. The person selling commented to my friend he had replaced the tires and taken it to the sand dunes and said he was surprised it did ok with the aftermarket tires he put on it. The tires look like a good combo paved road and rock road tire, maybe some trail riding. Defininately not mud tires.

Anyway for some reason using it in the sand caused some concern as i would not venture into the sand with my Kodiak 700 certainly not without paddle tires.

I am kind of suspicious that he is selling it after 3 months but anyone got some advice on what to look for when we go look at it. He is $9500 firm on it. Price seems good as he is likely into it around $11,100 with the new tires he put on it.
I guess I worry he may have overheated it in the sand with the road tires, I doubt he has changed the oil with only 6.5 hours. What would you guys look for when you go look and drive it. Smoking of course, do you think I should look in the air box where the filter is. i went looking at mine this evenin
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
ry air cleaner foam though. Looked like a mouse had thought about setting up shop but stopped building the nest.

I will try and post a picture of it

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can't imagine why he would be selling it, did you ask? Only 6.5 hours in three months, I am guessing there is more to the story, that you should know. Call the dealer where he bought it and see what they think, or know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
apparently he has a new kodiak 450 as well likely for his wife that someone is also coming to get tomorrow about the time we get there. i assume it to be new also, said his plans changed and they were buying an RV and he wanted the cash to go to the new RV purchase. has the title in hand so he must have paid cash for them.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
The vin is on the frame down below the A arm on the left hand side

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jim should we look for anything else on it that you can think of. As hard as it is to find non etenol gas he likely has regular gas in it, Should we let the gas gauge get really low before we put ethonal free in it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see the yamaha web site has the 2020s listed now at $10199 plus $435 destination charges, and the 2021 SE is $9599 plus the destination charges $435. The aftermarket tires mounted likely cost him around another $500 with valve stems. if they replaced those, not sure why they would so $400 for tires. Still seems like a good deal he is losing about $1000. So his firm asking price is $9500 seems reasonable with only 6.5 hours on it. Especially since in my area dealers don't have any stock.

·
Grizzled Mod
348 Posts
Not sure why you would be concerned that the Kodiak would potentially overheat in the dunes without paddle tires. No way it should overheat the way it is unless something was actually wrong with the machine especially with only 6.5 hours on it.

That is virtually a new machine and with Yamaha reliability, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Do your standard checks to make sure it looks like it wasn't rolled or something stupid done to it where it is bent. Chances are that is still just being a bit paranoid, but should be able to tell if everything is lining up properly, plastic gaps all look correct, no severe scratches or plastic dents that could indicate a roll-over. Drive it on a flat road, make sure it drives straight, etc. Do as you said and check the air box, make sure it looks clean. Bring a flashlight and look down the OEM snorkels and make sure it doesn't appear to have been drowned.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
I bought my Grizzly with 20 hours on it. I looked for frame cracks, or signs of a wreck. Honestly, it drove like crap. Pulled to the right. I didn’t even care. It just needed an alignment.
Go buy it, and plan on doing the maintenance. Make it yours. Change fluids, align the front, adjust controls, etc.
People buy and sell stuff all the time. During the Covid crisis everyone bought ATV’s. And they didn’t ride it. So, it’s for sale.
Always do an inspection, but don’t over-think it. Hope it works out for ya!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone I was looking out for my neighbor. I found it on craigs list then got a little paranoid I would hate to recommend a lemon or stolen vehicle. I have a utility kodiak 700. He had been trying to get me to sell him mine and buy myself one with power steering but I really don't need all the whistles and bells especially a custom paint job my west highland terrier likes to ride on my storage compartment and stands on my rinky dink display with his front paws. He would just scratch the paint.

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
A suggestion for you on letting you dog ride with you is to get some of those stick on carpet pieces and trim it to fit in areas where he will be sitting. The carpet allows for them to get firm hold on the area.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jim he usually has his back legs straddled on both my legs. He has pretty good Balance although I don't leash him any more it has fallen off a few times and nearly ran over him we were always putting along on a slope tire would run over the retractable part of the leash and try to jerk him off. Now I keep one hand on his collar. He's a 25 lb dog

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts
When I was working in the oil fields I had a boss that drove like a mad man running from the zombies. He also had a blue healer that road on top of the tool box in the back of his truck. Quite often he would come into the yard and tell everyone to be on the lookout for his dog that had slid off of the tool box as he was going around a corner.

There were a few times that we saw the dog fly off when we were following him. We would just pull over and the dog would jump in the truck we were in and we would be off again. But there were a few times that it took a couple of days to find the dog limping home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We went and bought the kodiak 700 SE it was beautiful and obvious it had 6.5 hours. Great tires 8ply I think he said tires looked better than pictured. I had heard from my friend he was told it had been down at the beach in a place called sand lake people take thier dune buggies and 4 wheelers down there to play.

I did notice some sand under the seat and looked in the air box there was a fine coating of sand on the walls, air filter didn't look dirty, but I would say we need to clean out that air box really well. We ill have to be very careful once we remove the air filter cartrige, I am wondering the best way to keep any contamination before and after removing the air filter to put a new factory pre oiled filter on the housing. Suggestions appreciated.

Does anyone think maybe I should block the air inlet into the air box first under the hood then blow it out really good with compressed air. I actually didn't notice any sand in the compartment under the front removable hood. I also was thinking it might be wise to drop a skid plate or two to see if there is sand in there. If I find sand it might be a good idea to remove the plastics and blow it good with compressed air then hose it down some being carful around the air box. Anyone got some suggestions for cleaning a machine after being in the sand.

I am not sure if there is a special oil used for the 20 hour break in, can someone enlighten me, but finding a light coating of sand in the air box on its walls makes me wonder if we should do an oil and filter change now at 6.8 hrs and 83 miles, as a preventive measure after cleaning the air box good. Machine didnt smoke or sputter and sounded quite normal. He had been using non ethonal which was a relief. We got the out the door invoice it was $10,680 the machine was $10,300. He also said the tires were eight ply had not reseached the cost of the tires but assume they were around $600 aftermarket. Really beefy didn't pay attention to the brand as yet. He also through in a bench passenger seat well padded support camo and two camo bags I would say $200 items, So around $11,500 we got it for the $9500
Thank you in advance great machine, beautiful, neighbor loves it, power steering is great back to my utility 700 unfortunately for me.

·
Registered
19 Kodiak SE, Backcountry Blue, 27” Reptiles, 1” wheel spacers, 20* weights, shims, purple spring
379 Posts
Start cleaning the air box with a vacuum, and finish with a wet rag. Use a clean cloth to wipe inside the air intake and see if the seal is leaking. If it has leaked, consider the oil change.
Sand is actually one of the larger size dust particles. Fine clay dust is way worse. The filters will easily stop sand.

·
Super Moderator
959 Posts
Only 6.5hrs on it... How many km/miles?
I wouldn't worry about an oil change in it just yet, regardless of any sand/dust in the airbox.
Let that bike hit 200mi/320km then do your oil, it will still be under the 20hr mark. I personally would continue to do a proper break in until it hits that milage.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going with a friend to buy a 2021 Kodiak 700 SE. It is 3 months old and has 6.5 hrs on it. The person selling commented to my friend he had replaced the tires and taken it to the sand dunes and said he was surprised it did ok with the aftermarket tires he put on it. The tires look like a good combo paved road and rock road tire, maybe some trail riding. Defininately not mud tires.

Anyway for some reason using it in the sand caused some concern as i would not venture into the sand with my Kodiak 700 certainly not without paddle tires.

I am kind of suspicious that he is selling it after 3 months but anyone got some advice on what to look for when we go look at it. He is $9500 firm on it. Price seems good as he is likely into it around $11,100 with the new tires he put on it.
I guess I worry he may have overheated it in the sand with the road tires, I doubt he has changed the oil with only 6.5 hours. What would you guys look for when you go look and drive it. Smoking of course, do you think I should look in the air box where the filter is. i went looking at mine this evenin View attachment 10969 ry air cleaner foam though. Looked like a mouse had thought about setting up shop but stopped building the nest.

I will try and post a picture of it
I bought my 700 EPS 6 months ago, I'm been using it only 2 times, I don't have time and the trails are almost 3 hours away, there is nothing wrong with low hours machines, my have only 13 hours , 31 miles.. that's a good price 9500, there is nothing available right now on stock on dealers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts